Boiling The Wort - Take 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljbrisson

Reaction score
I am making Who's in the Garden Grand Cru from Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing. This is my second batch.

5 lbs. Briess Golden DME
2 lbs. honey
1.5 oz. crushed coriander
.5 oz. dried orange peel
1 oz. Hallertau 60m
.5 oz. Hallertau 15m
.5 oz. Hallertau 2-5m
Belgian Wit Wyeast smack pack

I modified the rec. by adding extra 1 lb. malt because it was packaged in 3 lb. increments.

Boiled 2 gal. of water on stovetop of my wife's brand new, electronic-everything awesome stove which she has been coveting forever. Removed from heat, added malt and honey, realized the pot was way too small. Transferred some wort into a smaller pot, placed back on heat, and right before boil BOTH pots simultaneously spewed sticky wort all over the place.

Needless to say I was absolutely mortified. I am skittish enough as a homebrewer, but getting sludgey wort all over my wife's brand new stove just paralyzed me with fear of trying the boil again. I covered both pots with plastic wrap and stuck them in the fridge. Fortunately I had not yet smacked the yeast pack or added the hops, since boil had not been reached. Tonight I will buy a turkey-frier and propane burner and boiling for 60 minutes as per usual.

Writing this has been very therapeutic. I guess my only question is has this happened to anyone else, and what flavors may change because of the unorthodoxy of this process? Any suggestions on additional measures to salvage/preserve the brew?

Increase your volume and do a full boil or partial at 4-5 gallons.
Measure the gravity and use beersmith or other software to estimate the IBU and hop utilization. (you may not need that much hop due to better utilization).

Boil for 60 minutes and you are good.... Watch out for boil over... you'll get it no matter what...

Back