Transfering the wort to the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idlehero

Reaction score
I've seen here that a lot of people use the whirlpool method to separate trub from the wort. Is this method preferable to just pouring the cooled wort through a strainer+funnel into the primary fermenter? I figured that maybe pouring through the filter caused lots of splashing, which could risk contamination... but really, you're going to shake the wort up anyway to ensure the yeast get enough oxygen; wouldn't this method pre-oxygenate the wort a bit?

I'm a novice to brewing (I've only brewed twice... well, soon to be three times tonight :)) so I'd love to know the advantages of a whirlpool system. I brew with whole hops and malt extract, so my current method with a metal strainer has been working great. But I'd always love to try a better method!

Thanks.

I use the "pour through a strainer into the primary" method as well. I just try to leave as much trub in the pot as possible. A little gets in but it's fine. The whirlpool method works, you just need to siphon out of the pot, unless your pot has a valve on it. Splashing isn't cause for contamination, improper sanitation is. Just make sure your strainer is clean and sanitized and you're good to go. And yes the strainer does oxygenate the wort a little.

I thought oxygenating the wort right before you pitched yeast was an important step? I pour it in then pitch when im below 80°F in the primary.

I use the strainer method, have to empty it out every now and a then. I get a build up of hops and trub in it.

I use a combination of a bazooka filter in the kettle and a fine strainer outside. I tried whirlpooling, but with the bazooka it actually makes the clogging worse.

I did the whirlpool method for the first time last brew. Usually I open the valve and pour through a strainer sitting atop a funnel. I used 4 ozs last brew so I figured the whirlpool would be a good idea.

Wow, my poor strainer had nothing in it by the time I was done.....

Back