Joe's versus Malkore's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petes

Reaction score
I made up a batch of each concurrently; my second for Joe's and first for Malkores.
Both had their problems for some reason. I posted re Malkore's and gained some wisdom from Hightest; Joe's just would not clear after fruit drop so I eventually hit it with bentonite which did the job quicktime.
Both got bottled after 6 months in fermenters, now had one month only in bottles.
Taste test - bentonite definitely didn't impact on Joe's, it's simply highly drinkable, have to get a 4 gallon batch underway. :drunk: Malkore's is, well, underwhelming. Has an odd taste, a little off putting - hoping will come right with bottle age.
Have to say couldn't access Malkore's yeast so used a generic beer yeast when had intended a generic wine yeast. My mistake, could be part of the taste problem. :eek:

I know yeast alternatives are getting somewhat remote from their creators intent, but does anyone have thoughts on Lalvin 71B for JOAM? Only real yeasts I have ready access to is 71B and 1118, otherwise generic no-name beer, wine and cider yeasts and breadmakers.

Purely as a curiousity thing I do have down a 4 gall 'modern' JOAM, trying techniques learned here, just to see what the end result shapes up like as opposed to the original. :mug:

You sure you didn't mix these two batches up..I too have made both, and each time the original JAOM has the pithy, harsh bite of orange pulp and peel...where the Malkore is much more mellow with no pithy aftertaste what-so-ever, very drinkable and likable. Don't get me wrong...Joe's is still a nice drink..but has that "not so great" aftertaste that the Malkore version does not have.

Dan

flyweed, yeah I'm sure I didn't mix those two.
I know that Joe's is far from everyone's ideal. I just haven't found anything wrong with it tastewise.
Along with jmulligan, your responses are enough for me to give Malkore's another shot, my taste problem I'll put down to the yeast so just have to use something better. Will opt for either 71B or the generic no-name wine yeast that my local HBS assures me simply 'everybody uses'.
Am only looking for alternative yeast for Joe's in attempt to get a tighter lees.
Cheers, petes

Back