Whats all the fuss about natural gas in basement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
I dont see what all the fuss is about using natural gas in the basement. If you hve make up air and an exhaust system of some sort, why is it so bad to use natural gas?
Your cooking stove is gas, and i understand that it is a lower volume than a burner but with the make up air and a better exhaust system than those small kitchen hoods why would this be any more dangerous than my kitchen stove?

if you have makeup air and hood exhaust system there is "NO FUSS"

its when you have a window cracked open and think that it is satisfactory where things can go wrong.

-=Jason=-

thats what i thought. but every time i bring it up someone says something about how it is dangerous. if it really is dangerous can someone give tell me why specifically. also the gas line is being installed by a licensed professional who actually works for the gas company.

BMWMK2 said:
thats what i thought. but every time i bring it up someone says something about how it is dangerous. if it really is dangerous can someone give tell me why specifically. also the gas line is being installed by a licensed professional who actually works for the gas company.

Thanks awesome. The reason you got the advice you got was because most people have large kitchen, built by a pro. When most people hear basement and burner, they imagine a tiny window with little ventilation and huge burner.

If you have exhaust and make up air, and installed by a pro, you're good to go.

You should still have a CO monitor in place. If you're adequately ventilated and I don't mean an open window or cellar door with a box fan in it then go for it. Otherwise whoever goes down there to retrieve your unconscious body is going to overwhelmed by the CO rather quickly.

I dont see what all the fuss is about using natural gas in the basement. If you hve make up air and an exhaust system of some sort, why is it so bad to use natural gas?
Your cooking stove is gas, and i understand that it is a lower volume than a burner but with the make up air and a better exhaust system than those small kitchen hoods why would this be any more dangerous than my kitchen stove?

The fuss is probably about outdoor propane cookers, not natural gas. Outdoor propane turkey fryers, camp stoves, Banjo/Hurricane burners, etc should not be used indoors because they consume enormous amounts of air and output similar amounts of exhaust products.

Propane is actually a problem indoors because propane is heavier than air and may pool in the basement leading to a boom boom kind of day. NG is lighter than air so be less likely to pool in the bottom floor of your building.

Combustion gasses are a real danger but the bigger danger is a propane leak building up in your space.

Ventilation and make up air are really important, but with NG the fuel will vacate your space through your exhaust and the propane may not as readily.

I've been a glass blower for over 12 years and know more than I ever cared to about combustion gasses and safety.

Cheers.

BSD

Back