6 gallon secondary ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
hello again ladies and gents,
quick question........ is it ok to have a 6 gallon secondary? first of all i am a newbie but the reason i ask, i read alot about " the less oxygen, the better during fermentation" thank you and God Bless

Yes.

There will be little or no oxygen and if there is then there'll be a blanket of heavier CO2 over the beer.

A 6 Gallon secondary is fine.

More the merrier. Keep in mind that if you end up with 6 gallons when you should of had 5 gallons, you might have a weaker beer than intended due to a less vigorous boil off.

well i thought that you would want a 6 or 7 gallon primary and after it settles then move to a 5 gallon secondary. my local beer supply only has 6 gallon carboy. i have a 7 gallon bottling bucket that i use. i have never moved to a secondary vessel yet. so my 7 gallon primary and a 6 gallon secondary is cool right? sorry for my hard head!!!! peace

Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of good advice here. As for the 6 gallon secondary, I agree with the others, it shouldn't pose any problems at all. Happy brewing.

Back