Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes the up & down swirling action of active fermentation kicks up yeast rafts off the bottom & they float with the krausen. No worries.

I use the green chilies in the boil, then strained after the boil.
I will update a better picture tonight when I get home.

Yeast raft or infection?

IMG_20150217_202403258[1].jpg

Two days ago. Had a really nice looking krausen that has died down since yesterday. I'm just not sure about that darker growth coming from the one side.

Didn't read all the posts here but I'm a noob. are thier any commercial beers that use this process. I'd like to try one. Is this how a "sour" is made. Thanks!

View attachment 257321View attachment 257322
Ok, not to be a pain in the ass but I have had two back to back infections and I can't figure it out. The first picture is 12 hours after pitching, second is 24 hours post pitch.

Something just doesn't look right.

Looks fine to me, esp so soon after pitching.

Didn't read all the posts here but I'm a noob. are thier any commercial beers that use this process. I'd like to try one. Is this how a "sour" is made. Thanks!

Generally commercial sours would be intentionally pitched with souring bacteria and/or Brett. Depending where you're located, there might be some US sours available in your area. Otherwise you can look for imports. Look for certain styles - lambic, geueze, Flanders red, oud bruin.

Chocolate stout. There are little floaties that are the nibs in there but a strange look and smell coming from it as well. Infected?

20150218_105949.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, after throwing out a batch of beer I have become anxious during the fermentation process.

American IPA in the secondary for a few days. FG has not been reached and fermentation is very slow. I don't think it's an infection based upon going through 78 pages of some nasty pictures. Just want a second opinion.

beer-in-secondary.jpg

Yeah, not sure if it was PBW exactly but t was a cleaner. And followed it with starsan.
Both infections happened in this specific fermenter. I am wondering if it somehow got scratched on the inside which is harboring the infection.
My previous infection I racked to another Carboy and the symptoms disappeared.
Does this look like a lacto infection?

American IPA in the secondary for a few days. FG has not been reached and fermentation is very slow. I don't think it's an infection based upon going through 78 pages of some nasty pictures. Just want a second opinion.

It doesn't look infected to me either but that is WAY too much head space for a secondary vessel. How are you judging that fermentation is slow? Generally you won't get much drop in gravity after transferring to secondary unless you racked to secondary too early.

Yeah, not sure if it was PBW exactly but t was a cleaner. And followed it with starsan.
Both infections happened in this specific fermenter. I am wondering if it somehow got scratched on the inside which is harboring the infection.
My previous infection I racked to another Carboy and the symptoms disappeared.
Does this look like a lacto infection?

I'll be trying my infected buckets soon too but I soaked them for a day in pbw and hot water. Looks like Brett to me or the start of it. Mine started out the same and got worse. No expert in this so might be wrong.

Sorry, I cheated... All brett starter at about 10 days. This thread is even better with the more true infections, so I wanted to throw that out for your enjoyment.

Aren't those big juicy bubbles hidden in the krausen creepy?

2 weeks in primary. Gravity from 1.060 to 1.004. Never had one before, what do you guys think? Gravity that low tells me yes?

infection.jpg

Oh yeah. I would have to say infection...but if it tastes and smells good to you, drink it!

That's what I did with my IPA.

IcldSEa.jpg

My Scottish Wee Heavy. :(

I was hoping that this would be ready for St. Paddy's Day (and also not infected). Unfortunately, I mashed in at too high a temp and it only fermented out to 1.020. I added some Yeast Enzyme and Beta Amalyse hoping to wake it up and finish the fermentation, but I think I introduced this instead.

Should I let this roll? Or just dump?

Why did you transfer before fermentation was finished?

Back