Secondary Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I brewed something similar to Anchor Steam using WLP001 California Ale Yeast without a starter. My mash temperature was a little high at 157, I failed to sufficiently aerate to wort prior to pitching the yeast. The primary fermentation temperature was a constant 70 degrees. My OG was 1.060 and FG was 1.022. I am attributing the high FG to the previously stated issues. Regardless, the beer tastes and smells great.

I have moved the beer to secondary after 8 days in primary. I have the secondary fermentation vessel currently in a wine fridge at a constant 60 degrees…… does anybody see any issues with a secondary temp of 60?

Thanks!

no problem with that temp. i've made a few steam beers and done primary fermenation at 60°F. secondary temp doesn't matter at all, as long as it's not frozen. it's just that the colder it is, the more it will clear from everything settling out.

next time ferment that sucker at a lower temp, if you have the capability. my 60°F steam was far superior to my 70°F steam beer. there was an unpleasant fruitiness from the higher temp (although it was still very tasty and drinkable. no one else complained, but i could certainly tell.)

The White Labs website states the California ale yeast has a optimum fermentation temperature og 68-73°F. I was just shooting for the middle. What benefits would I get from a lower fermentation temperature? And is that just for a steam beer?

nope, for most beers. the temps they list are not the best guidelines.

i ferment nottingham, WLP300, WLP080, WLP550, WLP810, all of them in the low 60s.

it makes for a cleaner beer, every time. my steam beer had a nice spiciness from the yeast, but still was very clean and crisp. the higher temp steam had a phenolic fruity/spiciness to it that wasn't near as tasty.

in regards to the "optimum" temperature of the yeast. sure, they yeast may be happier. these are some possibilities when going below the recommended temp:
1. you may have to make a starter to ensure you have lots of active yeast.
2. you may need to let it sit a bit longer in the primary to finish the job
3. you may need to occasionally rouse the yeast

but, seriously, no hard work. and it's worth it ;)

Fantastic! I will start fermenting a lower temps. I'm purchasing a Rancho right now.

All fermentation should be completed in the primary. You need to use the hydrometer to tell you when it's done fermenting. Only, and only then, move the beer to secondary. The term 'secondary fermenter' is a misnomer; no fermentation should occur in the secondary. It's a clearing vessel. Your goal in moving to the secondary is to get the beer off the yeast cake and allow it to further clear. Colder temps help this process(anything above freezing). I'd get the wine cooler down to 50-ish if possible.

Maybe instead of saying "2nd stage fermentation", we should all gather together to only use the term "conditioning" for what you do after active fermentation is done:mug:

And yeah, I go by my hydrometer. Once I see my gravity is done, I'll rack to a carboy, and will refrigerate if I want to clear it. I like fermenting at my "cellar temperature"....which in Atlanta, that's still around 68-70. At normal room temps, ale yeasts are fermenting at a greater rate then if it was a colder temp: so you could cool down your fermentor if you're finding it's being too active.

Can you go too cold for your secondary fermentation/conditioning/clearing? I have a Sanyo 4912 that I have room in (just finished off the last keg in it), but I think even on low it'll probably be close to 40 or so. My secondary would fit in it so I was thinking I'd give it a try.

I would think the worst you could do by going too low is kill off all your yeast: so you couldn't do natural carbonation. Other then that, I don't see what else cold temps do. Hey, there's a thought....an Icehouse clone!

Latest posts

Back