One gallon Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wasa thinking about making a 1 or two gallon batch of a Porter to see what my recipe came out as and also because I don't have the money or the equipment to have two full batches going at once right now. I was thinking about just getting a a smaller food grade 1 or 2 gallon bucket and then making a hole for the airlock myself. Or, I also found that a Carlo Rossi (bleh) bottle is a little buit more than a gallon and I figured I could use that as well.

Got any ideas for a one or two gallon batch fermentor?

Here in the UK 1 gallon glass wine fermenters (called demijohns) are really easy to find and can be picked up cheaply. Looking at the big Carlo Rossi bottles it's pretty much the same design - and if you can pick them up for free then they're even better!
Plastic food grade buckets work great for primary, use the Carlo Rossi bottles for secondary.

or if you could pick up two of the jugs, use one as a primary and one as a secondary. i was at the class 6 yesterday and was thinking of buying a couple jugs of el'cheapo wine just for this purpose.

subwyking said:
i was at the class 6 yesterday and was thinking of buying a couple jugs of el'cheapo wine just for this purpose.
But are you planning to drink the el'cheapo yourself? Is it not easier to find someone else that drinks them and 'liberate' the bottles? ;)

Back