Cheers from Portland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevefarns

Reaction score
Brewed my second batch last night (after a 3 year break) and was just looking for some info. Ran across this site and it looks to be a great resource!
Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I'm looking forward to learning more about the process.

One question I have is about the primary fermentation process. I'm going to do some looking in the forums to see if there is any info out there but noticed one thing that I don't think I saw last time. I noticed after a couple of hours of the blow off tube being in the water lock, that the tube had started to suck up a little bit of water. It wasn't anything dramatic, only maybe an inch or two, but had about doubled this morning. I'm anxious to go home and see how it is after work, but figured I'd ask around. My main concern is that somehow the wort doesn't have enough oxygen in the carboy. Has anyone seen this happen before?
Thanks!

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

That is pretty common to have the fluid in your blow off tube or airlock go backward at first. That is just from the wort cooling and slightly reducing the air pressure in the fermenter. Once the yeast start producing CO2 the pressure will increase and your blow off will start bubbling.

Yesss another Portlander! Soon, my minions will overtake these boards, and then... oh yes.... oh yes....

I mean, welcome to the forum!

Kilted Brewer said:
Going to assume you're in the better Portland....Portland, OR that is!
Hey, YOUR Portland was named after OUR Portland! But uh, I guess that in every other conceivable way, yours is better, so you win.

Kilted Brewer said:
Going to assume you're in the better Portland....Portland, OR that is! Welcome to the board and welcome back to the hobby!

At first I was going to take offence to that, but then my west coast roots took over. But ours is the original, and has the Great Lost Bear pub. (50+ micros on tap)

Welcome to HBT.

Welcome to HBT where Portland is not afraid to talk smack about Portland. I smell a dance off.............errrr brew off coming on to find out which is the superior Portland.

Back