Chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeatReek

Reaction score
So, how does chill haze work?

I just started cracking open my latest batch, a pale Koelsch; the first few bottles I just put in the fridge briefly, for like 20-30 minutes, then poured into a glass. Very clear, but cold enough to be tasty.

Last night, I put a 6-pack in the fridge and now I cracked one about 24 hours later, and it's exhibiting significant haze when I pour it. What's the deal? Does the haze typically take a day to develop? I thought it happened right away when you chilled the beer, if it was gonna happen at all. What do I do now, cold condition for days/weeks?

I did use Irish Moss during the boil, and the product sure was clear during secondary fermentation.

Chill haze is caused by protiens that are in suspension .. other then that I can't help. It *SHOULD* settle out with time anyway...

and fwiw, clear beer (by most peoples opinions) is overrated.

I had a badly hazed holiday ale thanks to the cinnamon powder, I used gelatin to clear it in bulk..

Back