Feedback on this brewstand design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Interesting concept any feedback

image-3390902190.jpg

I don't see the point, especially when you have a pump. Why not put them all at waist level?

Probably due to lack of horizontal space.

Agree with having the BK at a level where it can be monitored as well.

I would swap the boil kettle and the mash tun that would lower the boil kettle while still achieving the same compactness

I have a single tier one pump system and it works great. I can always add another pump if I desire. If you are not horizontally challenged, I would recommend a single tier.

I agree with Bradjoiner. In my mind the 3-tier is as much about minimal equipment as it is saving space. If you put the HLT on top not only can it be higher since you only need to be able to operate the drain valve, but you can take the hundred or so bucks you were going to spend on a pump and put it towards better equipment or more ingredients.
Base the stand height off of carboy(6.5G) height and valve clearance on the brew kettle. This puts the kettle bottom at ~28", another 2 feet to the top, 52"(4'4" ~belly button height) Another 2ft for the MT/10gal igloo(76", 6'4") and then a final 2 feet for the HLT puts you at 8'4. The MT is a bit inconvenient but only if you try to dump all the grain in at once. obviously when you clean it just tip it over.

If you don't mind or have to move the BK around for cooling anyways there's no reason you can't make it lower than carboy height.

microbusbrewery said:
So batch sparge? Pump from HLT to MT, then pump from MT to BK?

Yup. Not really a way to fly sparse on that setup. Unless he had another pump.

Back