recliming yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I have been seeing a lot of talk about reusing yeast from previous batches. As I ordered my first and second kit from AHS, I paid about 7 each for my tubes of yeast. If I can save my yeast and use it repeatedly that would be a lot of money saved!

Can someone explain to me exactly how this is done? Does the yeast retain any flavors from the previous beer brewed that would impart any off flavors?
I have a new baby, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of babyfood jars around for storage.

How do you do it? Whjat are the steps involved?
Thanks!

I just read over the Wiki about washing yeast.
So after you wash it for the third thime, what you have left is liquid yeast? and you use that for your next batch?

it says
Pour off liquid and add wort, 2 days before brewing or repitch into a new brew straight away

Add wort? 2 days prior? I'm confused...:eek:

talleymonster said:
So after you wash it for the third thime, what you have left is liquid yeast? and you use that for your next batch?

it says .

Read up on Yeast Starters, that's what they mean when they say add wort.

Here's the wiki on yeast starters:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Yeast_Starters

talleymonster said:

it says .

You should be able to determine the color difference between yeast and trub but after the 3rd wash (if done properly) you more than likely have mostly yeast. You can add it all or split it up and save some for yet another brew. As far as adding wort 2 days prior it might be referring to preparing a starter. I try to get 2-3 brews from each pack\vial.

talleymonster said:
That clears things up a little bit...
I use a large one gallon pitcher for the 1st separation, then pour off into smaller mason jars for some additional separation.
Just give it a try. Learn by doing it.If it doesn't work then try it again.:)

If you are brewing a similar brew, or if you want to make a batch with a little uncertainty(I firmly believe that the world's best beer ever will be from experimentation, not from minor adjustments to an already tried recipe),
then save yourself the trouble and pitch on the last 1/2 gallon or so left in your primary. It beats the hell out of any yeast starter, and the last bits of beer left have tons of flavor.

cheezydemon said:
If you are brewing a similar brew, or if you want to make a batch with a little uncertainty(I firmly believe that the world's best beer ever will be from experimentation, not from minor adjustments to an already tried recipe),
then save yourself the trouble and pitch on the last 1/2 gallon or so left in your primary. It beats the hell out of any yeast starter, and the last bits of beer left have tons of flavor.

Let me see if I understand: First I rack the batch in my primary. Then I pour the cooled wort from the next batch directly on top of the trub that is left at the bottom? No need to add new yeast?

Yep, that's it. And have a blow off tube in place, because the fermentation will knock your airlock off and maybe your lid. I rack off all the beer that I can easily get without getting trub and/or yeast, and then dump the new wort on.

As was mentioned earlier, you're better off going from a small beer to a big beer (so you basically have a massive starter) or from a lighter to darker/heavier beer. I would easily put a stout on an English brown ale for example, but not a cream ale on a double IPA yeast cake.

i think the make a starter and split is is the way to go if you can ensure sanition etc.

personally i just use the cake two to three times, starting first with a session gravity, and working my way up. i'm usually done drinking the session batch before the third heavy batch is even out of secondary. :mug:

I am an enthusiast for experimentation! I have stumbled on some great brews by pitching up to 6 beers in the same primary. I have left up to 2 gallons in with the yeast to mix with the new wort so that I get two similar, and yet very different beers to compare.
There are no rules to it, and I feel that the already fermented beer left in a primary with the yeast is a very inhospitable place for infection. I mention this because new brewers have a typically narrow view of sanitation. It is crucial, but it is not such a delicate thing that adding properly boiled wort to a beer at any stage of fermentation should be reason for concern. I think that this fear of infection is the reason more brewers don't do this!
Also on topic(in my opinion) is adding more wort to an already fermenting brew. I do this with great success, the only downside is no way to precisely calculate the ABV. (Or rather the OG). Sorry to be so wordy, but I feel compelled to share!
The common thread here is that adding wort to the yeast cake is OK, so what is an already fermented brew but a huge yeast cake? The last beer I brewed was actually the 6th that I spoke of on the same yeast cake. The brew fermented so fast that I was not quite ready to bottle, so I boiled another gallon of wort(very concentrated) cooled it and put it in.(I called this batch the MUTT, because it had 5 fathers-the previous batches- I took no OG reading, and I used some ingredients that would make most serious brewers cringe) I cracked one open last night and it was delicious. Adding wort after fermentation has been PROVEN to push the yeast beyond their advertised limits. The yeast had no problem pushing out a high gravity brew on the 6th batch(and this batch was nearly free with the ingredients I used and the highly concentrated wort left from the previous batches) good luck!

How would you suggest splitting a starter and storing it for say about 2 months?

Does this sound resonable?
Just make a starter, and after 48 hours or so, split the batch by pouring them into bottles and capping them. Then storing them in the refrigerator?

Then just make a new starter when ready to use them?

cpbergie said:
How would you suggest splitting a starter and storing it for say about 2 months?

Does this sound resonable?
Just make a starter, and after 48 hours or so, split the batch by pouring them into bottles and capping them. Then storing them in the refrigerator?

Then just make a new starter when ready to use them?

I assume that you are talking about re-claimed yeast? If so, you would have enough for two starters without doing much else to it. It would be simplest to store all of it in 1 container and then use 1/2 for the next batch, 1/2 for the subsequent batch. Fewer containers = less chance of contamination.
If you are talking about taking new yeast and making 2 starters 2 months in advance, I would not recommend it. But even if you had to, I would recommend 1 container, and make sure it is done fermenting.

I actually was talking about using new yeast, it just seems easier to keep sanitized.

So maybe I can buy a vial for my next brew, create a starter, sanitize the vial and fill it up from the starter after its fermented out, then use the rest of the yeast for regular fermentation?

The saved vial should last at least a couple months in the fridge I would think.

cpbergie said:
I actually was talking about using new yeast, it just seems easier to keep sanitized.

So maybe I can buy a vial for my next brew, create a starter, sanitize the vial and fill it up from the starter after its fermented out, then use the rest of the yeast for regular fermentation?

The saved vial should last at least a couple months in the fridge I would think.
True, but your yeast count of half would have to be built up again for a new starter.

It sounds like you may be making this too complicated. Re-using yeast in the primary is easy and free. Scrubbing yeast and saving it.......Hmmmmm, to save 6$ a batch? I make my starter right in the carboy and pitch as many as 6 subsequent batches on it. I then throw it away and start with what I know is a clean strain the next time. Good luck!

I just wash the yeast and bottle it in baby jars and keep using it. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get started, but I have NO problems so far. It's kinda odd, but I have never used a starter and never had a problem. I have a third generation CA ALE Yeast ferementing in a strong IPA right now and second generation European Ale Yeast awating an opened carbouy and a recipe. These two yeasts will be used until I get sick of washing them.

It's all about saving the cash, brewing my own and sticking it to the MAN!!!

Back