Maize & Blueberry - Cream Ale Recipe (Extract) Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifraf

Reaction score
So my little sister is graduating from the University of Michigan this year, and I wanted to bring up a special beer for her. I got the idea to make a blueberry beer and just toss a little bit of flaked maize in it so that I could call it "Maize and Blueberry" for her, but while poking around online I found this recipe:

http://www.homebrewinparadise.com/BrewRecipes/Blueberry Cream Ale.pdf

1/2 lb Light Crystal 10
1 lb Flaked Corn (Maize)
7 lbs Pale LME
1oz Hallertau Hops @60 min
1/2 oz Czech Saaz @20 min

2 pkgs dry Muntons yeast or 1 vial of Safale US 05 into primary.
1 can Oregon Fruit Puree into secondary

This sounds to exactly what I want, but because I've never made a cream ale, used maize, or even HAD a cream ale (I don't think anyway), I figured I'd run it by the community here.

I have no problems changing it up, or even moving away from a cream ale but I do want to keep some form of maize/corn in it.

Thanks!

Note: For those who don't know, Maize and Blue are the official colors of UM.

I made a Maize and Blue Cream Ale once. I contemplated a similar recipe but just colored the Label Blue instead of adding fruit. I just couldn't see the blueberry working well in that style. But I'm not a big fan of blueberry either. If she is then maybe she'll like it.
CONGRATS TO HER
GO BLUE!

Cool thanks, guess I'll give this a shot. Worst case scenario I make beer right?

GO BLUE! Duke isn't worth two seconds of thought in football so I've adopted Michigan as my team in late summer/fall.

I did a small 1 gallon test batch of blueberry cream ale last year and it was a bit overpowering at first, but 6 months later the flavors melded and it was absolutely fantastic. I brewed it for my girlfriend's birthday and I'm doing it again this year. This time I'm doing a 10 gallon batch and i'm going to do 5 gallons normal and then 5 gallons with blueberry. I hope yours turns out good too!

Back