old mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowz98

Reaction score
hey everyone, im pretty new to brewing although ive had some fairly positive success stories with home brewing a couple small batches of beer and mead. I decided to try this cider mead recipe I found ( about a gallon, natural fermentation) it seemed to collect well and developed a effervescent smell, so i put an airlock on. But after about a week it collected a horrible looking black and white film on top of the liquid. Eventually it just became the joke between my gf and I ...ie a failed experiment and it sat there for a long time, probably 6 months. don't judge me. It never smelled or developed flies, and eventually we decided to toss it. Before we did, i noticed that the liquid was really clear. I racked some into a cup and tasted it and I thought it wasn't bad. (My gf might disagree). So I racked some into bottles and corked them and have been letting them sit for about 2 weeks. no further mold has appeared and they actually started fermenting again. (1 bottle popped the cork). I let some pressure out and im thinking bout keeping them. thoughts?

I've heard of people racking cider out from under mold cakes. Generally I'd be inclined to say that you'd be able to tell if something's off, what with "is this food bad" being an instinct that we've had millenia to develop!

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a holiday in express last night.

Back