Screwed up my starter...which yeast to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So made a starter yesterday with California ale 001. I went and checked the starter this morning and it smells cidery, not anything like beer so I figure it got infected (first time this happened, first time using Iodophor). So now I have a couple options for my Blonde ale.
1. Pacman smack pack
2. Nottingham dry yeast

So what do you guys think, I'm brewing as we speak

Dan

Um, what kind of beer? edit- never mind- I see "blond ale". Duh!

My guess would be nottingham. Two reasons- it's neutral, like the California yeast, and you don't have to make a starter with dry yeast. You'd need a starter for the pacman, since it's been sitting around for a while.

homebrewer_99 said:
Taste it. That's a good indicator as to the flavor and if it's spoiled. It only takes a few drops.

You may not have enough experience tasting your yeast, but this is one way to get it. ;)

I will taste it, but it smells like fruit and cider. I've never had a starter smell like anything other than beer. I just had one bad batch and am not ready to try my luck with a possible bad batch of yeast though. Nottingham it is..should I rehydrate or just toss it in?

Dan

I've had WLP001 smell a little fruity when the temps were on the warm side (72-74), I've never noticed a cidery smell though with it.

James

Rehydrate... why not... good luck! I did my first starter a cpl weeks ago, I used bleach and then hot water to rinse. I know ppl dislike bleach, but I have never had an infection with bleach and hot water rinse.

Pol

Rehydrate... why not... good luck! I did my first starter a cpl weeks ago, I used bleach and then hot water to rinse. I know ppl dislike bleach, but I have never had an infection with bleach and hot water rinse.

Neither have I. :D

Blond ale wants to be pretty dry and crisp. The Cali 001 seems like it was a good choice; I bet the Pacman works great, as well. I've never used Pacman (I was tempted to grab a smackpack at the HBS this weekend, but it's got to be pretty out of date by now), but from what I've read it sounds like a juiced-up version of 001; very clean, very high attenuation, sounds like it would be real nice for a blond.

The Nottingham would work well, too, and be easier.

Since the Pacman's probably fairly old (they stopped selling those a while ago), you absolutely need to make another stater for it. If you're using the right concentration of Iodophor, it should be perfectly fine for sanitation. Never had a problem with it. One capful per 2.5 gallons.

Bokonon said:
I've had WLP001 smell a little fruity when the temps were on the warm side (72-74), I've never noticed a cidery smell though with it.

James

It is fruity and it was left in the house which sits around 74 degrees. The yeast tastes fine, although it is sweet and a bit like cider or fruit. It's not sour, and it's not bad tasting..I just don't want to chance anything with this batch.

Dan

I tasted it again. It tastes good...definite smell and taste of apples. It's not overpowering but it's there along with the DME and yeast taste. It's probably still good, but I've never used this yeast before..so I don't know what to expect.

Dan

If it was me, I would be worried for two straight weeks if I pitched somethign I was unsure about. That's the choice. Pitch the dry.

lgtg said:
If it was me, I would be worried for two straight weeks if I pitched somethign I was unsure about. That's the choice. Pitch the dry.

Yeah I'm going to pitch the nottingham, but store this starter in the fridge for later use. It should be allright, right?

Dan

Willsellout said:
Yeah I'm going to pitch the nottingham, but store this starter in the fridge for later use. It should be allright, right?

Dan

let it completely finish before you put it in the fridge. You might as well let it do its thing now

Well everything is going perfect for my second attempt at AG brewing. All the temps were good and everything has been done properly..I refuse to have another bad batch.

Dan

FYI, I have some California Ale 001 in my primary right now and it also has something of a "spiced" or "cidery" smell to it. Your starter is probably fine.

I agree it is likely fine. Unless your sanitation was something awful I can't imagine anything other then the yeast you pitched causing any activity in that short a time period.

The Pol said:

Pol
Same here. I use bleach solution and rinse with hot water. No off flavors and no infections yet.

Back