The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been in this thread in a while. A lot has change since my last post here, but such is life because it's in constant flux. Looking forward to see more tears of joy from Don Claudio this season.

Screen_Shot_2016-04-10_at_15.57.22-large_trans++14FQhsJKr-QH5086pA9dWp2oRIWOB1gen2WI6l3X-_c.png

Vardy and Leicester both accept the charges of improper conduct at the West Ham match. Vardy requests a personal hearing. Seems that Vardy will miss Manchester United as well as Swansea (which is fantastic from where I'm sitting, glad the racist little bastard gets his due), and I assume the club will face fines.

A controversial week of MLS action with bad referee decisions all over the place.

A Bad, Bad Week for Team Zebras
MLS referees aren't necessarily world class, but this week saw some egregiously bad calls. There was a clearly offsides goal in Seattle vs Colorado, while San Jose was lucky to not get a clear penalty called on them which then lead to a penalty at the opposite end that was called correctly against Sporting KC and the cherry on top was a clear red card foul against New York that went uncalled which eventually led to the Red Bulls beating Orlando 3-1. Now yes, referees usually at least kind of get things right, more often than we give them credit for, but all of these calls are glaringly bad, particularly the NYRB no call in which the player launched a two-legged, studs-up aerial challenge that could have grievously harmed Cyle Larin. MLS has to fix this, it has to get this better, because it is changing games and it is harming teams.

Toronto Wins the First Derby Match Against Montreal
The first derby match of the year between Toronto and Montreal was a heated affair in French Canadian city, ending with 2-0 maestro performance by Sebastian Giovinco. In previous years, due to both teams being objectively bad, this derby hasn't gotten much press despite the clear rivalry between the two sides, culturally and geographically, but that should change with the presence of Giovinco and Drogba. Both Montreal and Toronto look to be a strong presence in the east this year, so keep an eye on this rivalry.

Swansea rolled over. And we sat down. One more win for the Foxes and the title is theirs. We need the same miracle that has been granted them.

Going to be a glum evening.

Plus a probable Dier injury. And potential disciplinary ban for Alli after he punched one of the West Brom players out of sight of officials, but not off the camera.

pretty much the title is in the bag for the Foxes - spudz have to win @ Stamford Bridge, a place where spudz haven't won since the 80's. Sux for them...this result must be worse than the result on 05/19/2012

pretty much the title is in the bag for the Foxes - spudz have to win @ Stamford Bridge, a place where spudz haven't won since the 80's. Sux for them...this result must be worse than the result on 05/19/2012

As deflating as it (potentially) is for Tottenham, gotta be even worse for the Gunners. Although I suppose they'd rather be behind us without us winning the title, than see us win the title.

But celebrating the anti-St. Totteringham's Day will be a silver lining regardless. We've been discussing what we're going to call it. I'll get in trouble again if I post ideas.

However, while nothing short of a complete and total miracle will hand us the title, it still isn't over. Hopefully LVG and the boys from Manchester can muster something.

Although I can totally see the following scenario (not in its likelihood as a whole but rather the likelihood of certain actors within)- we crush Chelsea, then we crush Southampton. Meanwhile Leicester lose to Man U, and to Everton. Last match of the year, news hits Stamford Bridge that we've gone up against Newcastle. So f***ing Chelsea deliberately throws the match just to deny us the title.

As deflating as it (potentially) is for Tottenham, gotta be even worse for the Gunners. Although I suppose they'd rather be behind us without us winning the title, than see us win the title.

But celebrating the anti-St. Totteringham's Day will be a silver lining regardless. We've been discussing what we're going to call it. I'll get in trouble again if I post ideas.

However, while nothing short of a complete and total miracle will hand us the title, it still isn't over. Hopefully LVG and the boys from Manchester can muster something.

Although I can totally see the following scenario (not in its likelihood as a whole but rather the likelihood of certain actors within)- we crush Chelsea, then we crush Southampton. Meanwhile Leicester lose to Man U, and to Everton. Last match of the year, news hits Stamford Bridge that we've gone up against Newcastle. So f***ing Chelsea deliberately throws the match just to deny us the title.

Let's be real here....It's over bro...if spudz win, I will be the first to stand up & raise a glass to the cocks, but I will go by the prophetic words of Supa Frank Lampard
CgwElbpWMAEHe3E.jpg

ps...I am not sure if you follow CFC, but at Bornemouth the 'whole' stadium was chanting, "****ing better beat Tottenham - ****ing better beat Tottenham". The players know their duty now. The whole world wants to see Leceister win the title & don't forget, Don Claudio used to be gaffer for CFC. Of course CFC will bend over to the Blues, but don't worry bro it won't go to that.

Let's be real here....It's over bro...if spudz win, I will be the first to stand up & raise a glass to the cocks, but I will go by the prophetic words of Supa Frank Lampard
CgwElbpWMAEHe3E.jpg

It's been statistically unlikely for some time. We've all known it. But still not mathematical certainty. Odds of a Spurs title are still better than winning the lottery by a significant margin.

So that's how I'm looking at it. Like a lottery ticket. Hope for it, but know it ain't gonna happen.

ps...I am not sure if you follow CFC, but at Bornemouth the 'whole' stadium was chanting, "****ing better beat Tottenham - ****ing better beat Tottenham". The players know their duty now. The whole world wants to see Leceister win the title & don't forget, Don Claudio used to be gaffer for CFC. Of course CFC will bend over to the Blues, but don't worry bro it won't go to that.

I didn't actually watch that match, but yes, I was aware of the chants.

Yeah, everyone knew that was coming. He hasn't much of a case for an appeal either, it was obvious. Better now than when there's something legit left to fight for, and hopefully he learns a lesson, because this is going to become a strategy for dealing with him (I'd say it already is), wind him up, get him to lash out, get him sent off.

Hopefully it doesn't send Spurs spiraling downward, but I doubt that.

I bet its going to be so awesome to celebrate finishing ahead of arsenal.

I bet its going to be so awesome to celebrate finishing ahead of arsenal.

Given that some good luck on Leicesters part, some bad luck on our part, and some points where we simply didn't seal the results we needed, ended up costing us the title, a remarkable season still feels like a letdown. But given that we're all but certainly going to finish higher than we have in my lifetime, and already considered title contenders for the years to come (moreso than Leicester), trying to keep it all in perspective.

But yes, it'll be oh so sweet to finish above Arsenal. We'll be making DVDs about it for years ;)

US announced 40 man roster. Not many shocks, lots of old and familiar names.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals)
GOALKEEPERS (5): David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Ethan Horvath (Molde), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (15): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Monterrey), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Matt Miazga (Chelsea FC), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland)
MIDFIELDERS (12): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (FC Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Perry Kitchen (Heart of Midlothian), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Danny Williams (Reading FC), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (8): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Ethan Finlay (Columbus Crew), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund),Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Union Berlin), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Assuming health, what I'd want the starting XI and final 23 to be.

First starting XI
GK - Guzan
LB - Ream (or Chandler)
CB - Brooks
CB - Cameron
RB - Yedlin
LM - Fabian
CM - Bradley
CM - Nagbe
RM - Bedoya
ST - Jozy
ST - Wood

My 23 would be

GK - Guzan, Howard, Bingham
DF - Besler, Brooks, Cameron, Birnbaum, Ream, Chandler, Acosta, Yedlin
MF - Bradley, Bedoya, Nagbe, Fabian, Kitchen, Morales
FW - Jozy, Wood, Dempsey,Pulisic, Zardes, Finlay

It was hard leaving Miazga off, but I needed Acosta there. He's too versatile to leave off. Birnbaum vs Miaga I give Birnbaum the edge right now though Miazga should be a superior player.

Finlay, Zardes, and Pulisic can play the wide mid roles as well.

US announced 40 man roster. Not many shocks, lots of old and familiar names.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals)
GOALKEEPERS (5): David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Ethan Horvath (Molde), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (15): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Monterrey), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Matt Miazga (Chelsea FC), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland)
MIDFIELDERS (12): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (FC Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Perry Kitchen (Heart of Midlothian), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Danny Williams (Reading FC), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (8): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Ethan Finlay (Columbus Crew), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund),Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Union Berlin), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Assuming health, what I'd want the starting XI and final 23 to be.

First starting XI
GK - Guzan
LB - Ream (or Chandler)
CB - Brooks
CB - Cameron
RB - Yedlin
LM - Fabian
CM - Bradley
CM - Nagbe
RM - Bedoya
ST - Jozy
ST - Wood

My 23 would be

GK - Guzan, Howard, Bingham
DF - Besler, Brooks, Cameron, Birnbaum, Ream, Chandler, Acosta, Yedlin
MF - Bradley, Bedoya, Nagbe, Fabian, Kitchen, Morales
FW - Jozy, Wood, Dempsey,Pulisic, Zardes, Finlay

It was hard leaving Miazga off, but I needed Acosta there. He's too versatile to leave off. Birnbaum vs Miaga I give Birnbaum the edge right now though Miazga should be a superior player.

Finlay, Zardes, and Pulisic can play the wide mid roles as well.

I mostly agree with you here, though I think I'd put Morris ahead of Zardes right now and I think Miazga should edge out Acosta. I wouldn't leave Jozy off the roster, but I don't think he should crack the starting XI, he's been pretty bad to start the season for Toronto, I'd rather see Dempsey and Wood up top. I think I might also put Zusi in at right mid, he's looked excellent at the start of the season for Sporting KC, if he can keep that form going into the Copa America I think we'll have a real strong right mid.

Well, the one match where I hoped Leicester would lose they drew. Man U couldn't get it done. While it denies Leicester the title-clinching win, it means that for us to win the title, we have to not only win out (including beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge which we haven't done in decades), but Leicester has to lose to either Everton or Chelsea, and lose or draw to the other as well. I don't see Everton happening, and as already mentioned I could see Chelsea being scum and losing intentionally just to deny us the title.

Meanwhile winning tomorrow will all but cement our place in the Champions League, as well as cementing that we will finish above Arsenal. The former is all but guaranteed already (the odds of Manchester United surpassing our goal differential are less than our odds of the title, even if we lose out the rest we still at least finish 4th, and the odds of City finishing out of top 4 AND winning the Champions League while Liverpool ALSO winning Europa are quite small).

Another week of MLS action, here are the highlights as I see it.

The Timbers' Back Up Keeper Stands on His Head
Jake Gleeson probably isn't a name you know, but he's worth keeping an eye on. The New Zealander came in for the Timbers injured first string keeper and absolutely stood on his head, giving the Timbers a much-needed win. If you like to see reflex saves from keepers, these highlights are for you:

Toronto vs Timbers Highlights

Now Gleeson's footing and positioning isn't great, but that sort of thing can be taught and he's only 25, if he can correct those problems he could be an amazing goalkeeper. Think Nick Rimando but with a bigger body and better positioning, which would be faintly amazing. Unfortunately he's not eligible for the USMNT, but I fully expect to see him on New Zealand's roster if they can make it back to the World Cup. Toronto will go home to their newly renovated stadium disappointed, but if they can keep putting pressure on teams like they did on Portland they're going to have a very good season.

Jordan Morris Scores Again
A few weeks ago USMNT fans were wondering if Jordan Morris might be a bust, he hadn't done well in the Olympic qualifier playoffs against Colombia and he struggled in the early stages of the MLS season, but maybe that worry was premature. Morris seems to have found his scoring boots for the Sounders at least, he has three goals in as many games, two of them game winners, he's the top scorer for the struggling club. Columbus Crew will feel like bad luck lost them the game against the Sounders as they had some great chances, but the Sounders dominated the second half, leaving the Crew struggling to find the answer to their poor scoring.

NYRB Roar Back to Contention, Dallas Searches Desperately for Answers
After being in all sorts of trouble for weeks, it looks like the Red Bulls are finally figuring things out. Their win in Orlando may have been controversial, but once again scoring goals seems to have woken the whole team up, they smashed FC Dallas 4-0 on Friday for their second win is as many weeks and second time in as many weeks scoring 3+ goals. The two wins don't put NYRB above the red line, but they look confident and they seem to have regained momentum. FC Dallas, on the other hand, has to be searching for answers now. This is the second game in as many weeks that they have lost by 3+ goals, one of the dangers of working with young players is that they sometimes don't know how to work through, and out of a slump, and a slump right now could be very bad for Dallas. Things only get worse too, Toronto FC open their new stadium next week against Dallas and I expect them to come out motivated and dangerous.

Well, the one match where I hoped Leicester would lose they drew. Man U couldn't get it done. While it denies Leicester the title-clinching win, it means that for us to win the title, we have to not only win out (including beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge which we haven't done in decades), but Leicester has to lose to either Everton or Chelsea, and lose or draw to the other as well. I don't see Everton happening, and as already mentioned I could see Chelsea being scum and losing intentionally just to deny us the title.

Meanwhile winning tomorrow will all but cement our place in the Champions League, as well as cementing that we will finish above Arsenal. The former is all but guaranteed already (the odds of Manchester United surpassing our goal differential are less than our odds of the title, even if we lose out the rest we still at least finish 4th, and the odds of City finishing out of top 4 AND winning the Champions League while Liverpool ALSO winning Europa are quite small).

I had hoped Leicester would clinch it against Manchester United, just because they'd absolutely hate that, but then again I'm not a particularly big fan of any EPL club. Sorry, but I think that the foxes will clinch it unless Tim Howard stands on his head in one of his last two games in the EPL.

I had hoped Leicester would clinch it against Manchester United, just because they'd absolutely hate that, but then again I'm not a particularly big fan of any EPL club. Sorry, but I think that the foxes will clinch it unless Tim Howard stands on his head in one of his last two games in the EPL.

I'm all but certain at this point that Leicester will win the title, we will finish 2nd. Arsenal and City will fight for 3rd, but I think Arsenal will finish 3rd and City 4th, with Man U 5th. Irons will take 6th, and Liverpool may squeak out CL from Europa (they have better chances than City does in my book) but will finish 7th in the table.

Only 3 minutes left in the Chelsea-Tottenham match. What's the over/under on red cards in the final minutes?

I'm surprised there weren't any reds. There should have been. On both sides.

The video review afterwards is going to lead to sanctions against the official for losing control, sanctions against both teams for losing control, and numerous suspensions. That was absolute madness.

And of course the result is absolutely heartbreaking. Congrats to the Foxes.

In rationalizing my way through disappointment,

A) this is the best season we've had in my lifetime, and we've got young talent who can learn from this, all the key pieces are signing new contracts, so barring any trademarked Levy big money deals with Real Madrid, we are already title contenders if not title favorites for next year
B) we are guaranteed Champions League, qualifying stages mathematically assured (even if Manchester City wins the Champions League, they would have to both drop out of top 4 and we'd have to finish 4th to boot us out as Chelsea once did, which is impossible now).
C) Our goal differential makes it unlikely that we will finish below 3rd even if we lose the last two games, meaning we're almost guaranteed CL group stage.
D) One more point will guarantee CL group stage.
E) Three more points will all but guarantee 2nd place, and finishing above Arsenal (their odds of overcoming our GD may as well be nil, only City has a chance there and still slim)

On to next weekend. A victory for us and a draw or loss for Arsenal, and 2nd place is ours.

Very happy to see Leicester take the title. Feels good to have followed them from their first season in the Premier League, seeing them at the bottom of the table last year and then this result.

Also very much enjoying the great start my Philadelphia Union has had this season!

The fallout is starting already it seems. No excuse for how just about anyone handled themselves yesterday, only hope is that our inevitable loss of at least one or two key players to three match bans doesn't tank our last two matches and actually cause us to fall to back to 3rd or lower (which, of course, would be Spursy as hell and fills me with dread as a result).

Also very much enjoying the great start my Philadelphia Union has had this season!
Yeah it's about time they figured it out.

There are a few other shockers as well, like Toronto getting enough points on their road trip to be a strong contender once they finally get some home cooking. Or freaking Colorado who is at the top of the Shield race!

So if a person found themselves in London and wanted to experience the best that soccer has to offer (for London) ie tradition, experience, (not getting beat up for being Americans) etc... what team/venue would they look into? I assume Arsenal or Chelsea, no?

So if a person found themselves in London and wanted to experience the best that soccer has to offer (for London) ie tradition, experience, (not getting beat up for being Americans) etc... what team/venue would they look into? I assume Arsenal or Chelsea, no?

I hate to break it to you, but there are something like 13 teams in the London Area. Fulham/Chelsea/QPR are almost in walking distance from each other. Then you have Crystal Palace/Millwall/Charlton on the other side of the Thames. Up North you have Arsenal/Spurs & Leyton Orient isn't too far away from them. I guess you will need to find your niche to find which side you want to visit. Maybe you could use this webpage for more info on London Footie clubes

you are telling me Walker gets nothing for throwing snot on Diego Costa or Lamala treading on Fàbregas' hand?

I didn't say that. The article did. I'll be surprised if there aren't suspensions on both. And if it's one sided and only Spurs see suspensions, I call shenanigans. But a 10 game ban is harsh to say the least. Costa has stomped and poked plenty of times. Sometimes he gets caught sometimes he doesn't (and he was inciting all match as usual).

I refuse to pin it all on Spurs. But Spurs definitely deserve a large chunk of the blame.

If you're not going to actually read what I wrote don't bother responding. Thanks.

I was going after your quote where you said that you didn't want to pin it on spudz, but come on bro that is ****ing blatant there. Just because cuttenberg didn't want to say anything doesn't mean it's right. And we didn't even touch the subject of Danny Rose or of Poch running onto the pitch. That is so bush league right there - I guess to your point cuttenberg let the match get away from his control - he didn't have any control

Yes, those were all acts that deserve bans. But if Mous sees a 10 match ban for an eye poke that Costa gets away with regularly (albeit not always), and Fabregas doesn't see the same for slapping Spurs in the jewels resulting in the tunnel brawl that sent down Hiddink, then that's f***ed up. I'm not saying Spurs did nothing wrong. They did plenty, and deserve punishment for it. But Chelsea did too, and that's partially being washed over especially by Chelsea fans. If Mous is the only one to go down then so be it. But if other suspensions go to Tottenham as well, and nothing to Chelsea then that is a problem.

But if other suspensions go to Tottenham as well, and nothing to Chelsea then that is a problem.

What did CFC do so bad? Stop the spudz victory parade? Come bro own up to it. If spudz parked the bus in the 2nd half they would have won for the first time in 26 years @ Stamford Bridge. They decided to play bush league footie & paid the price in the end.

What did CFC do so bad? Stop the spudz victory parade? Come bro own up to it. If spudz parked the bus in the 2nd half they would have won for the first time in 26 years @ Stamford Bridge. They decided to play bush league footie & paid the price in the end.

You clearly weren't watching and I'm not taking the bait any more. Discussion over.

Back