Kegging 3 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalko

Reaction score
I m making a quick batch tonight with some leftover ingredients. But the total volume will only be about 3 gallons. Is it ok to keg 3 gallons in a 5 gallon corny and carbonate the normal way? Any gotchas? Cheers.

I've done it before with no problems. I pressurized with co2, and purged it several times over the first couple of days to make sure all of the o2 was gone.
I've since picked up a 3 gallon corny. :)

I concur with Richabt, I suggest that if you have co2 available, you purge the keg prior to filling. This will remove the o2 from the keg and lessen any chance of oxidation.

A 3 gallon keg is the best for small batches like this. I just received one, but have not used ityet.

Salute! :mug:

I keg 3 gallon batches in 5 gallon cornys all the time and it works great without doing anything outside the norm. I don't recommend spending the dough on a 3 gallon corney, unless you can get it dirt cheap. I've not seen one for sale for less than $60, and they're usually upwards of $100. You could get 2-5 5 gallons cornys for those prices :D

adventures in homebrewing has used 3 gallons on sale for $50 (~60 shipped), which is the best i have seen. still more than a 5 gallon. Unless you have space constraints, or do a lot of small batches, its likely not worth it.

Back