Lancaster/Reading/Allentown PA grain group buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomRep

Reaction score
I missed out on the Philly/NJ group buy twice now and was wondering if there would be enough interest in my area. Quite honestly, Philly, Harrisburg, and parts of NJ are about an hour away from me, so people in those areas may be interested as well. The buy would be from North Country Malt again. The buy would also be for strictly grains unless you plan to order 11lb hop cubes. We need 42 sacks to fill a pallet and the shipping broken down per sack is unbeatable. If your interested, please reply on this thread. Thanks!
Tom

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pricing/NC_SalesBook.pdf

Pick-up Location: (still could change depending on where the majority is from)
West Side Warehouse
1501 Gary Street
Bethlehem, PA 18017

Pick-up date:
TBA

TomRep- 1x BZ-PILS, 1x BZ-WHT-, 1x BD-MOPA, 3x CM-2ROW, 1/3x GW-C40,
1/2x BZ-VIEN

CONFIRMED PAID brewtool- 2x CM-2ROW, 1x BZ-DMUN, 1x BZ-PILS, 1/3x GW-C40

CONFIRMED PAID ZachWylde- 1x CM-2ROW, 1x TF-MOPA, 1/3x GW-C40

CONFIRMED PAID katja- PRECRUSHED... 1x BD-MOPA, 2x FB-PALE

CONFIRMED PAID pava- 2x CM-PALE, 1x BD-MOPA, 1x BD-PILS. 1x BZ-WHT

CONFIRMED PAID kkocher13- 2x BZ-PILS, 2x CM-2ROW, 1x TF-MOPA,
1x BZ-WHT

CONFIRMED PAID lustreking- 1x BZ-PILS, 1/2x BZ-VIEN

CONFIRMED PAID jcb317- 1x BD-MOPA, 1x BZ-WHT, 3x CM-2ROW

CONFIRMED PAID Bert1097- 2x CM-2ROW

CONFIRMED PAID OldFart- 4x CM-2ROW

CONFIRMED PAID Sithdad- PRECRUSHED... 1x BD-MOPA, 1x GB-PALE

I am in the same situation as you I just missed the Philly buy. About a year ago one was done out of York and seemed to fill up fast enough. I would much rather get in on a lancaster buy as it would be more convient for me too. I would probably be in for 4 bags if there is enough interest.

I could use 5 bags. I missed the philly buy as well. I'm in the Quakertown area.

There are enough people in the York area for a group buy? Sorry I missed that! Question though, how many pounds are in a sack; 50-60 lbs? I know it depends on the number involved, but what is the cost per sack with a 42 sack bulk order? An estimate would be fine. I'm in the Dover area, so Lancaster/Harrisburg/Downington are all about an hour away from me.

there is going to be another bulk buy very soon out of the sj /philly area to take care of the guys that didn't get in on round 2.
If you guys want to do one out in allentown pa that's fine too, but within the next few days round 3 will start.

BTW

sacks weigh 55 lbs unless it is domestic malt then it is 50lbs

42 sacks max to a pallet

I didn't start this post to step on anyone's toes in the Philly/NJ group buy. I'm to the point I NEED grains and don't want to wait longer then I have to. Unfortunatly, I found the last Philly group buy when there was only 13 more bags to fill the pallet. normally this wouldn't have been an issue, but I was at work and couldn't get an order together. By the time I got home the pallet was filled. If there are enough people interested to fill a pallet, then all systems are a go. If not, I'll be forced to wait for the next Philly round. So far we have a descent start right now. If the drop was near my area, I'd be willing to deliver grains to people by meeting halfway or something. We can iron out all those details once we get enough sacks. I personally would be getting 4-5 sacks, if not more.
Tom

Your not stepping on anyones toes. good luck Do you have a loading dock?

I don't personally have a loading dock but I do have access to one. Like I said though (or maybe I didn't, I don't remember), it wouldn't have to come to me. If anyone else wants to handle the whole deal, thats fine too. i'm just hoping to get 42 sacks on a pallet with some of them being mine, within a fairly short amount of time :mug:
tom

Looks like you guys are almost to 15 bags already. I would just start getting exact amounts from everyone and I bet you have 42 bags before the weekend is over. As for a loading dock, you could do what the SJ guys did and pick it up and one of the trucking companies depots. I bet there is one near Allentown.

Very good points Skarude! Okay, well lets start posting what you would be getting. From there we will see how many sacks we have and where the most convenient drop off location would be for everyone and hopefully get this thing nailed down. I would be taking: Best Malz B101 Pils, B601 Wheat, Bairds 0758 MO, Canada Malting 2060 2 row (2 sacks). I would also be willing to split a sack of Best Malz B301 Vienna if anyone is interested in the other half. Depending on finances when the time comes, I may add another sack to my order.
tom

Depending on the delivery date, I'm in for 3 sacks. I just moved from Fleetwood to Pittsburgh a few months ago and I'm back in the area the last week of each month. Will be back next from 3/28 to 4/3. If necessary I can send someone to pick up my order! So exciting....I always miss the group buy too!!!

0758 Bairds Marris Otter - 1 sack
HF201 Malteries Franco Belges - 2 sacks

**need to get the pre-crushed malt**

Let us know if you go through with it!

hey katja, since I'm in Fleetwood, I would have no problem holding your grain for you until whatever would suit you. So, we have 8 sacks so far. Anyone else??
tom

I was planning on setting up another buy as soon as the current group buy gets picked up (1-2 weeks) if you feel like waiting. Seems like you guys are kind of far from south jersey but if you don't get an order together, feel free to jump onto Round 3 in a week or so.

Or if you go through with it and have any questions, i'd be happy to help.

Jeff

hey Jeff, thanks a lot! I was planning on jumping in on round three, but I figured I'd see what I can do in our area. Like you said, the drive to south jersey is a bit far. If your going to do a group buy to save some coin, no sence in driving further then you have to. i'll let this roll for a week or so and see what we come up with. If we are a mile away from filling a pallet, maybe we'll all go in on round three of the Philly buy and I can just pick everyone's sacks up for them. thanks again for the offer to help, I may need it ;)
tom

I keep missing the other one...and no one replies to my posts in those threads anyway. :(

I'd be down for a couple sacks (2 2row & 1 Munich) and splits on a few specialty grains if this goes forward.

I'd be interested in some specialty grains as well if we split. Not sure I would need half a sack of them though, but if someone wants to do thirds or quarters, I'd be all over it. If I did my math correctly, we have 15 sacks right now. Keep them coming!
Tom

i would think about spliting chocolate malt 350 lov or pale chocolate, Munich mybe crystal 40 or 120

Crystal 40, 60, and 120 would definetly be a go with me in a third or quarter sack. I personally don't use a lot of chocolate though.
tom

Tom,
IF you think we're definitely doing this I'll give you my exact order so you can start compling a list? let me know.

I am working on getting a list together now. I am keeping this open for a week to see the total number we have by then. If we don't get the 42 sacks, the Philly guys are doing an order in about 2 weeks again, we can just take our order and throw it in there. If there are guys in my area that don't want to drive to S. Jersey for their stuff, I'll gladly pick it up for you. however, we are on to a pretty good start with 15 sacks so far and talk of splitting some specialty grains. I have a feeling we should be able to do this in our area.
Tom

put me down for a 3rd of both 120 and 40

i hope we get enough i dont like going to jersey unless its ac or nj motorsports park

Okay I updated my very first post on the first page with everyone's orders we have so far. brewt00l, I need what malting company you want to go with. Also, we need a 1/3 sack each of caramel 40 and 120 to make a full sack. Anyone else out there??
Tom

pava- I got the Canada Malting 2060 pale, but what is the BD? Bairds has a MO but I don't see a pils.
tom

Okay, front page is updated with a potential pick up location and the proper ordering numbers. Hopefully everything is ironed out now.
tom

CMC 2 row and Best Malz Munich are both good for me.

If you do any specialty splits, I could go for a share of light lov crystal and some wheat malt.

Anyone in the general area to me that would want to participate, I could probably pick up and you could get your malt at my place.

Anything around 10L is fine by me...that's usually the dark munich in most lines. If you're looking for another third on that C40, count me in!

Thanks!

Okay, dark it is. The light is said to be 4-8L and the dark 8-12L. You are updated and you claimed the last third of crystal 40. Looks like we're up to 18 2/3 sacks right now.
tom

Thanks!

Again, I can pickup for other folks and most likely meet up in the Lansdale/Doylestown/Warrington/New Hope general area with anyone if that would help folks if that helps out.

Heres my order.

I'll take 2 Sacks BZ PILZ
2 Sacks Cm 2ROW
1 TF MOPA

Thanks for putting this together.

Back