Another Cyser Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am making a cyser, probably 5 gallons cider and 8lbs honey. I know I need plenty of yeast to go at this, and I want it to finish dry. I have a place to keep the carboy at 65f at all times, but I am wondering if I need to make a starter. If I want a dry finish I think I need to use Champagne yeast. So should I just throw in 2 or 3 packets of dry yeast? Any problems with that? This is only my second non-beer bev besides a cider so I really dont know.

Thanks a lot,
Ben

One packet is plenty, just make sure you rehydrate the yeast properly. Making a starter is best practice but you can get away without it if you sprinkle the yeast lightly on the surface and wait for it to sink. Dont just dump it in. You lose a lot of cells that way. 8lbs is a lot of honey. The quality of the honey and juice will have a huge impact on what the final result tastes like

Back