Oxygen loss prior to pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
I have an inline O2 set-up plumbed in after a cfc. On cleaner lighter beers or a beer that I'll harvest yeast from, I'll wait for the cold break to settle and get rid of it before pitching. During that 8-24hr cold break settling period, am I loosing all that O2? Do I need to get a wand and oxygenate after the settling period?

The O2 will equilibrate with the air in the headspace, and some may escape through the airlock if there is a pressure difference.

I suggest just harvesting your yeast from the starter directly instead of the slurry post-fermentation - it's a lot less hassle that way.

I like keeping that whole cake instead of making a starter, saves me 1 or 2 nights work prior to brewing.

I think you will lose a significant amount of O2 in that time frame. I recall hearing or reading that O2 off-gasses significantly from fresh wort in about 8 hours or so, though I don't remember where. It's best to create your system to allow for relatively clear wort entering the fermenter. A little cold break is good for yeast. Too much is bad for beer.

if you are using dry yeast really isnt a problem as you dont need the yeast to propagate all that much . Nottinghams instructions

"Nottingham British Ale yeast has been conditioned to survive rehydration. The yeast contains an
adequate reservoir of carbohydrates and unsaturated fatty acids to achieve active growth. It is
unnecessary to aerate wort
."

If you pitch the proper amount of yeast then aeration is not a major concern I think the 8 - 24 hours wont be a problem. Even if you fell the need to just shake the fermenter a little to get the O2 lost back into solution as I would think its in a sealed environment .

I did some searching and stumbled across this. Post #11 shows that the O2 stayed for 24 hours. Wonder if water holds O2 better than wort? Man it would be nice to have a DO meter.
If it's inappropriate to link to another beer related message board, please say so.

Back