Fried Saaz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
OK, so I think my mistake was too much sun for this saaz rhizome. It started of great; green and healthy. But, we had a week of 90+F temps and it got fried really bad. The bines are still green and about six feet tall but they are BARE with a few little sprouts coming out. Very few...like three. So my big question is: I obviously will not get anything out of it this year; Should I just cut it? It is a potted hop plant. Or, should I just let it go? Is it going to make it and grow again next year? Does anyone have any experience with this? I know it has a good root system as it grew over six feet tall before it got fried...Im just concerned that if I leave it as is I will kill the whole thing and it won't come back this year. The reason I think this is because its facing south and gets tons of light and I thnk I read somewhere that Saaz is a variety that actually needs some shade...

I know...this is not very well written and the questions are all over the place. Thanks for putting up with me

Take heart. You aren't alone.

The heat is on growers | Yakima Herald-Republic Online

I wouldn't cut it at this point. Any green matter will help the roots grow. Assuming it is the heat/sun that is burning it and not some disease, it shouldn't effect the root ball.

Since its in a pot, is there any shade you can move it too? It probably is just a bit too hot. When the heat spell breaks, you can move it back.

I have no idea how I would move a half barrel full of soil....way too heavy to lift and too akward to use a dolly. Any suggestions?

I have no idea how I would move a half barrel full of soil....way too heavy to lift and too awkward to use a dolly. Any suggestions?

The half barrels are heavy! I had to get myself and my dad to manually carry mine and it was a huge pain.

A friend and a pair of these! They are awesome
512698FW6GL._SS400_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All hops, with the exception of Sunbeam and Blanca, need full sun. Those two are Saazer-types, but normal Sazz needs the sun. I'd just let it go until the bines die, as they might put out a few new leaves.

Latest posts

Back