Pilsner grain bill with ale yeast = blonde ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I'm going to make a brew for my dad and he's a big fan of Pilsners, but right now there is no way to lager or ferment under high 60's. So the question is if I take a real light grain and use a nottingham yeast, would that make it a blond ale? Any problems with this? I was thinking of a koelsh but it would be at the top of the range, has anyone had good results around 70 degrees? I'm looking to use only german hops or saaz. He loves Urquell, but that's just not happening right now.

Pretty much. You can make a great blonde with Pilsner and Saaz.

The most important thing is to keep your ferm temps as cool as possible if you're doing a pseudo lager with ale yeast. I'd try to stay as close to 60 as possible with Nottingham.

I am planning on about the same brew, probably the weekend of the 4th.

10lbs Pils
1lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Flaked Rice

.75oz US Saaz 7.7% @ 90m
1.0oz CZ Saaz 4.0% @ 5m

US-05 rehydrated in cooled wort.

Going to ferment around 60-62*F. That much Pils needs a 90 minute boil, too.

:rockin:

(ETA: I would NOT use Nottingham in the 70's. It tends to produce a LOT of fusels at higher temps.)

I just finished a brew not unlike the one you describe. I threw it in the fermenter about 20 minutes ago. I usually do this brew as it gets hot out. It is rather lacking in big flavor, but it hits the spot on those super hot summer days.

5 lbs. Pale Malt
2 lbs. Pilsen Malt
1 lb. Rice Hulls

1 oz. Hallertau (4.5%) (60)
.5 oz. Saaz (5.5%) (30)

Nottingham Ale Yeast

By statistics, it would be classified as a Blonde Ale. I just call it my Summertime Ale. It finished at 1.040 and the color is about exactly what this smiley looks like :)

As much as I would rather have a big, malty beer, most of my guests rave about this one. I guess it appeals to the fizzy, yellow beer drinkers.

Back