still cloudy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey.. I have a batch of red ale in an ale pale w/ bottom spigot as primary.
Its been in since 1/24 - so far so good. took a hydrometer reading tonight - s.g.1.049 now getting 1.013, everything seems to be fine but I took the sample from the spigot and it still appeared to be pretty cloudy. Is this normal at just over a week in.. I'm planning on leaving it in primary until 2/7(2 weeks). but should I rack to the bottling bucket a couple a days early to try to clear further before bottling? any suggestions would be helpful. thanks.

If you took your sample from the spigot then chances are you got a bunch of sediment in your sample. Your beer will clear when you get it in the bottles and let it condition like its supposed to.

You can also cold crash your brew in the primary before you move it to the bottling bucket as well to help it clear.
-Me

The yeast hasn't had a chance to clean up after itself yet either.

How do you plan to move it to bottling bucket? I siphon it, which in my opinion leaves behind all of the trub/yeast cake..whereas using the spigot has a tendency to move some of it with the beer.

I was planning on move it to the bottling bucket by the spigot but I'm not going to be using a secondary so maybe I will get a siphon for transfer. the other thing is that I'm understanding it will clarify during conditioning?

Yep. But like JoeMama said, you probably got some junk in there via the spigot. I bet in another week it's quite clear, as yeast really does clean up after itself. A siphon would be an excellent investment though.

Ok thanks for the info... I'm planning on going back to the brew shop this week to buy a second primary anyway so I'll probably pickup a siphon before next weekend.. wish me luck ;)

Back