Warning! This is an "is it infected?" post.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
Brewed up a christmas ale this weekend and the yeast is acting in a way that is new to me. The yeast is Wyeast london ale 1028.

Its swirling around inside like crazy in little and building up in the carboy, right now its about a fifth the way up the carboy. Anyone seen this before?

I've seen that before, all my beers turned out fine. I havent read enough of these posts to know why, but I'm pretty sure you're A'ok.

Totally normal. I see it every time. I've seen many ale yeasts get some serious motion going in the fermenter. The chunks are more likely cold break material. All of the little rising bubbles stir things up.

This is a common occurence when you brew a Christmas ale in February. It ends up looking like a giant snowglobe.

This is a common occurence when you brew a Christmas ale in February. It ends up looking like a giant snowglobe.

Yeah, any number of issues can arise from this. There can be nothing but trouble when you brew a christmas brew so late.

You should probably start getting ready to begin thinking about planning your Valentine's day beer within the next month or two.

Of course I just bottled a Saison so I am one to talk.

:mug:

I believe this is typical of this yeast, used it in my porter and it looks like cottage cheese floating around in there during the fermentation.

I am of the belief that christmas ale is appropriate under three conditions:
1) It tastes good
2)Contains alcohol
3) its cold as **** outside

I was gonna commend you on you farsightedness in getting your Beer for next Christmas alreay so it will be nice and aged by next christmas...

I just laid up a Belgian Strong Dark Ale that I am going to reserve a few a Christmas gifts next year.

Oh your beer sounds fine, btw.

Back