Salt in my beer - lots of it. Any hope?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want my 12 minutes back for reading every page in this thread and the story not being revealed.

I feel the urge to dump salt in your next batch now too.

I think I posted a couple of years ago that everyone's guesses were much more entertaining than what actually happened. I didn't want to ruin all of that fun with the actual story.

Anyway, since this thread has been revived and people want to know what happened...

I was traveling a lot for work at the time - commuting from Connecticut to Phoenix just about every week. I took a red-eye home on a Thursday night and went fishing all day Friday. Instead of coming home after fishing and spending Friday night with SWMBO, I went back to my buddies house with a few other friends. Ended up getting home quite late and quite drunk. Woke up Saturday morning and decided I'd rather have a brewday(and drink more beer) than spend the day with SWMBO. She was angry and I was on a plane back to Phoenix on Sunday morning, having spent the weekend fishing, brewing, drinking, and completely ignoring her. I would guess I hadn't even made it to the airport when the salt was poured.

I think I posted a couple of years ago that everyone's guesses were much more entertaining than what actually happened. I didn't want to ruin all of that fun with the actual story.

Anyway, since this thread has been revived and people want to know what happened...

I was traveling a lot for work at the time - commuting from Connecticut to Phoenix just about every week. I took a red-eye home on a Thursday night and went fishing all day Friday. Instead of coming home after fishing and spending Friday night with SWMBO, I went back to my buddies house with a few other friends. Ended up getting home quite late and quite drunk. Woke up Saturday morning and decided I'd rather have a brewday(and drink more beer) than spend the day with SWMBO. She was angry and I was on a plane back to Phoenix on Sunday morning, having spent the weekend fishing, brewing, drinking, and completely ignoring her. I would guess I hadn't even made it to the airport when the salt was poured.

You kept her around after doing something that drastic for a dumb reason.... Yikes I'd hate to see her revenge and solutions for larger misunderstandings and arguments.

well.... I can understand why she was pissed.

my SWMBO would be pissed if I did something like that, but there would have been a loud angry argument and then some make-up sex and not a bunch of salt dumped into my beer or anything else destroyed.

my SWMBO would be pissed if I did something like that, but there would have been a loud angry argument and then some make-up sex
Haha, I've heard about this alleged make-up sex but I must have chosen a SWMBO who doesn't have that feature installed.

Salt + beer = natural beer brine = a million uses! :ban: It would have made one hell of a Clam Bake! Substitute out the beer in place of white wine! Mmmmm. Anyways, OP, glad to hear that that occurrence was not a harbinger of future misfortune, hopefully she chooses to drink your homebrew instead of sabotaging it on the occasions when you do disappear with your friends.

Ah yeah I can see how that'd piss a gal off. Always good to know the needs of your partner, and fulfill them. We all know what guys need, but gals can be a bit more complicated.

For the record... SWMBO and I are just fine these days. It was truly a weekend of poor judgement by me and overreaction by her. Since it directly involved my beer, it ended up here. We are very much happily married with a 1 year old daughter and a baby boy on the way.

Probably more info than anyone wanted or needed to know. Just got the impression that this thread, now a couple of years old, might lead some to believe my marriage is a complete dumpster fire or something. Thankfully, not the case. :)

I'm really late on this thread, but I have some friends that like to make "beeritas." 1/2 beer and 1/2 margarita with extra tequila. They're better than I thought they would be, and a natural for salty beer.

In regards to why she did this, if that's what she did for you ignoring her, what did she do after you tapped her sister?

Craig. Congrats on the babies. And FWIW, women (and men) are known for going after what the other loves in an arguement and in our case that's beer. All's fair in love and war. And I can't honestly say I've never done anything "over the top" in an arguement. My SWMBO and I don't fight or argue much, but when we do I could totally see my SWMBO doin that, and our marriage is really good!

from swmbo....
He's trying his best to not put all the blame on me...but as a swmbo, it was quite the sweet revenge and you all better be careful because I'd recommend this type of sabotage to any home brewers wives or girlfriends. I'll let you know that this weekend would commemorate the week where that particular brew would have been finished and he has brought it to my attention how sweet it would be to be sipping a fine home brewed ale right now but...I will have the last laugh in that!!!

Just a heads up to any SWMBO you reccomend this too, that kind of malicious BS would quickly turn mine into a ex-swmbo, childish hateful actions arent tolerated by me or my swmbo (in other words she'd boot me if roles were reversed)

I tried this...

Real Ale Coopers kit
1kg BE2
500g DME
23L total.

First I collected 19L of RO water. Into which I placed a chunk of Himalaya Pink Rock salt size approx 50mm wide x 30mm tall x 40mm deep. A sizeable chuck. Within a few hours it had dissolved completely.

Then brewed as normal, 2 weeks in primary, then 6 weeks in secondary.

This was back in June....Im still drinking this stuff right now....It carbonated quite well, with awesome head and that unmistakable salty taste :)

At first it was a bit overbearing....but I must admit, the salt really does balance off the bitterness of the Real Ale...

I've also found, if you eat deep fried snacks with the beer, it works really well.

I wouldnt do it again, but I've just put down a International Lager with a 1/4 of the salt I used previously.

I'll post back soon.

Himalaya rock salt is millions of years old (primordial oceans)....

I wouldnt try it with processed mineral NaCl....that stuff will kill ya.

Mildly salty lager has come up awesome. Had the last bottle of salt real ale...absolutely amazing...the bitterness is matched off by the saltiness to create a great drop...took six months of storage to get there though...

Haha, I've heard about this alleged make-up sex but I must have chosen a SWMBO who doesn't have that feature installed.

That is classic!! I've got one of those models as well. I've tried the software upgrade but her operating system rejects it every time. :(

Back