Reusing Paint Strainer Hop Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidicem

I love lamp!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built myself one of those PVC collar hops bag holder this weekend. I hope to give it a test run next weekend. For those of you that use 5 gallon paint strainers has hop bags, how many times do you reuse them? How do you clean them after use?

I rinse them out really well then let them air dry. That's about it. Never had any issues with them since they are in the boil 60mins.

I reused mine about 8 times until I noticed a small hole in the seam.

They start shrinking a little after time. I like to drape it to within 2" of the bottom of the boil kettle.

I soak mine in oxyclean when I'm soaking my brew kettle...then I rinse thorougly, let it airdry on a coat anger, and I usually soak it in sanitizer and dry it again before putting it away.

Rinse it off after use, but, don't worry about it until it's dry. When dry just whip it around and all the little hoppy bits come flying right off.

Same, rinse the grains out of them after turning it inside out, then outside in. Before my next brew day, i'll inspect it for holes. If the bag has found religion (holier than thou), i'll go and pick up a fresh one at lowes. If not, i'll sanitize it with a brief soak in idophor with the rest of my brew equipment and that's that.

I've been using the same bag for 4 or 5 years now. I threaded/looped copper wire through the neck an made a hook that hangs it on the lip of the brewpot. I just rinse and dry it when done.

Back