Coriander Seeds in a Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
I'm fixin to do a witbier and i have the seed version of this spice.I'm assuming i need to crack those seeds,what's the procedure for doing that?I was planning on using 1/2oz for a 10-12 gal batch.Does that amount seem right?Thanks in advance,
Cheers:mug:

A coffee grinder works pretty well. 1/2 to 1 oz. would be fine, for 10 gallons I would probably use an oz. though.

Dont grind them to a powder though, the flavor comes out a bit strong if you do... (as I sit here choking down my last wit:) )

Onescalerguy said:
I'm fixin to do a witbier and i have the seed version of this spice.I'm assuming i need to crack those seeds,what's the procedure for doing that?I was planning on using 1/2oz for a 10-12 gal batch.Does that amount seem right?Thanks in advance,
Cheers:mug:

That spice is only a "seed version" the plant version is Cilantro (commonly used in hispanic food).

Yes, crack them. If you're using a 1/2oz use either a morter and pestle or put them in a small baggy and smash with hammer. Also, you might want to add a small amount (1/4 oz) of black pepper.

srm775 said:
That spice is only a "seed version" the plant version is Cilantro (commonly used in hispanic food).

Yes, crack them. If you're using a 1/2oz use either a morter and pestle or put them in a small baggy and smash with hammer. Also, you might want to add a small amount (1/4 oz) of black pepper.

OK I gotta know... Why add the pepper?

Sherpa FE said:
OK I gotta know... Why add the pepper?

Adds a little bit of extra spice to accentuate the corriander. Wit's should have just a little bit of a bite on the back-end of the flavor profile.

I've seen several recipes that say to add the pepper. I've added a bit ... didn't notice the difference, but I really didn't add that much. That's why I suggested starting off small and going from there.

use two normal dinner spoons. seeds in bottom one, use top one to gently crush them.

you really only need to crack them open.

am I the only one that thinks fresh corriander smells like Fruity Pebbles?

Back