Blueberry beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldood

Reaction score
Blueberries will be in season in a few weeks and I want to do a blueberry beer.
I have some Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast Activator harvested so I could do a MidWest Hank's Hefeweizen Kit or should I try it with some other ale?

Suggestions anyone?

I'd try a more mild wit yeast like WL400 or Wyeast 3333.

I've used Weihenstephan Weizen and the clover and banana esters were pretty strong. Might overpower the blueberry flavor. The fruit flavor might be too subtle.

My first batch I used ectract. 2oz during boil. 2oz to bottling bucket. My second batch I froze and then pureed 5 lbs of blueberries and added them to secondary for 2 weeks.

I did a blueberry wheat. I also used extract in the bottling bucket. I used about 3oz. To me the blueberry is a little much. But some people really like it. Good luck!

A wheat beer (like Hank's) would be a good showcase for the fruit. A blueberry porter would also be tasty. I'm curious to see how something more unorthodox, like a blueberry red ale, would turn out. Hmm. That might be a good 1 gallon experiment.

mmm...a good nutty brown with the background of blueberries, bit of lactose in there too....

Back