Volatile gasses across the US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
Hey ever'body,

Soon I shall be returning to the flatland of the midwest and am looking to consolidate my brewing equipment. Don't get excited, I won't be selling my AG setup and kegerator on craigslist for $50 or anything...
I am curious regarding my gas tanks. Do filling stations buyback used propane tanks? I would assume so beingas you really only put a 'deposit' when you first fill one. Anybody ever returned one? And the CO2 tank... same situation.

from what I've seen most places will say, "Hey, thanks for the cylinder. Have a nice day."

Call up to all the local fillers in the area and see what they say. You can even price shop at that point. Don't forget your local scrap, might be your last resort/highest bidder. heh

I was thinking I wouldn't actually get my 'deposit' back... If I truly get nothing for them then I guess I'll just bleed out the gas (or burn out the propane one) and take the tanks empty. Still sucks tho.

You should try and hold onto those, man! You're gonna spend more in the long run trying to reacquire the tanks....especially that CO2 tank. If you can transport them without safety issues, keep 'em!

Technically the tanks are owned by the gas company. Weather it's ethical or not to keep the tank for the value of the "deposit" is up in the air. This is a discussion we see here at least once a week. There are several ways to get new tanks once you move; home depot, meth labs, tailgating ev...ohhhhh. Oops, I thought this was the keg discussion again.;)

If you could easily empty them I would bring them along. If space is a concern, though I would be surprised if you could get money for the LP tank. CO2 is another story, your LHBS would probably pay cash or at least barter for it.

chillHayze said:
Hey ever'body,

Soon I shall be returning to the flatland of the midwest and am looking to consolidate my brewing equipment. Don't get excited, I won't be selling my AG setup and kegerator on craigslist for $50 or anything...
I am curious regarding my gas tanks. Do filling stations buyback used propane tanks? I would assume so beingas you really only put a 'deposit' when you first fill one. Anybody ever returned one? And the CO2 tank... same situation.
Where abouts in the midwest are you heading?

I grew up in Plattsburgh, NY. Is that anywhere near where you are now?

BierMuncher said:
Where abouts in the midwest are you heading?

I grew up in Plattsburgh, NY. Is that anywhere near where you are now?

Going to Columbus OH.

Plattsburgh is like 250 miles north. God, New York is a big state!!

olllllo said:
Volatile gasses across the US?

I thought this was going to be a post about Truckstop Food.

(rim shot) :)

I just drained the Propane tanks after running it at the pace I use for a boil for about 3 hours. What a waste... Well at least I won't have to worry about a propane bomb in the back of the Penske truck during the 400 mile journey. I'll just keep the CO2 tank as well. It is an exchange and is steel (sux BIG TIME compared to Al), but oh well.

Back