Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockyplr

Reaction score
So I decided it was time to build one of these bad boys. I looked on CL and found a small refrigerator for $30. I didn't want to build around it, I wanted to tear it apart (Plus the thing smelled).

I ordered an aquarium temp controller from Ebay, like many people have done, it should arrive in a few days as I ordered it a week ago.

Fridge_Before.jpg

Front of it with door removed already.

Compressor_Out.jpg

Coils and compressor removed from back

Fridge_Back2.jpg

Top part of sheet metal cut and removed, exposing the insulation.

Back_Fridge.jpg

Closer look of coolant line

IMAG0475.jpg

Freezer section cut out CAREFULLY

IMAG0476.jpg

IMAG0477.jpg

Freezer and Compressor completely removed

I am using one of the storage racks I purchased a few years ago from Costco. This helped me to save money, and the framework is already in place. Why re-invent??? Removed the second and fourth shelves.

IMAG0008.jpg

You can see I have the cooling portion mounted and skinned.

IMAG0024.jpg

I cut a section and notched out a place for the coolant line to go into the chamber.

IMAG0009.jpg

Using the hardware from the fridge I remounted the freezer to the top of the rack.

IMAG0010.jpg

Mounted Compressor to the middle shelf.

IMAG0021.jpg

Built a small box around the compressor.

IMAG0022.jpg

Closer view of the compressor from the outside.

I will continue to update this thread as the build continues. Off to do more work (and drink LOTS of BEER).

Was able to complete quite a bit last night after making a quick trip to the orange box store for a few pieces of lumber.

IMAG0026.jpg

I laid the chamber down so it would be easier to actually lay all the cut pieces out and test for fit.

IMAG0028-Copy.jpg

Everything fit, almost like I knew what I was doing...

IMAG0041.jpg

I can easily get four carboys in the top portion, with room to spare for four growlers for blow off containers or small batches for creation purposes.

IMAG0051-Copy.jpg

Having some fun with my old school Playstation sign. It may be incorporated, haven't decided yet.

Hoping to get the doors designed today and maybe even installed. Also have to work on the layout of all the wiring as I plan to have lights inside the chamber, and possibly glass within the doors so I can inspected without opening the chamber. Also need to decide on the placement of fans and ports for air circulation.

Had a induction fan in place but it did not hardly move any air through my 3" tube. Struggling now to cone up with a solution to get cold air to the bottom as well as circulating the air.

Thought about computer fans, but they seem to only move around 60 cfm.

Racking my brain on this one.

From my limited HVAC experience, 3 inch duct should only be able to move ~35 cfm of air.

I'd say booster fan but I can't find one that small.......

Been working on it when I have time. I have now finished the doors:

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0080-1.jpg

I am no carpenter, and they are not perfect, but doesn't that add to the character of the finished product? I think so.

Looks good. wish i would have thought of that i have two sets of those in the garage i could have repurposed one for the task.

Well I have plugged it in an yes the concept works. I am not done sealing the unit up, so I cannot tell you how cool it gets. Also I am still waiting on my controller, which should be here any day since it was scanned into California two days ago.

I stood there for about 4 seconds thinking "I should remove all the parts and re-install then in my chamber but, then, I just didn't and I have an nice looking chamber with a foe wood cube fridge sticking out the back. Hats off to you for not being me and making something nice looking...

Thanks everyone!

So an update. While we were cutting the doors the sawz all jumped and.....yeah, you guessed it, hit a friggin coil dead nuts center. sssssssssssss.

Well that set me back a bit because this time a year around here it is tough to find small fridges on CL due to college kids going back to school.

I did however find one Friday evening and I quickly went to his house to purchase.

I'll post updated pics soon....

you can also visit my video blog to see video of my dumb ass filming it...

Back