OSH steep and extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kybert

Reaction score
Regarding Orfy's OSH recipe:

Im planning to brew this with extract and steeped grain, this is my first time so i want to check the technique required...

TYPE: Extract and Steep

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
6 lbs 1.5 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
13.1 oz Lyle's Golden Syrup (0.0 SRM)
9.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.40 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 42.1 IBU
0.80 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.53 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
2.9 oz Dememera Sugar

Mash Schedule: None
1. Heat up 2.43 gallons of tap water to 67C, then put in grain (in a bag) for 60 mins. (this is called steeping, right?)

2. Bring to the boil, add LME, syrup and sugar whilst stiring gently, then boil for 60 mins watching for boil overs!

3. Add northern brewer hops as soon as it starts boiling (60mins)

4. Add golding hops when 15 mins remaining

5. Add golding hops when 5 mins remaining

6. Cool as fast as possible in ice bath.

7. Poor into primary and add enough water to make up 5gal total.

8. Pitch in the yeast.

9. Ferment.

Is this correct?

The first step you are doing is more for mashing than steeping.
You don't need to hold the temp for an hour to steep.

I'd put the bagged grain in the water and bring up to temp then remove the grain. Raise up to the boil then add the extract and hops.

If you are happy to do that first step then get some base grain and do a partial mash version.

Thanks for the help, i cant do a partial mash becuase i cant boil 7 gals, only got a 15l pan at the moment.

So for my 1st step, put grain in bag in water, heat from cold to 67c, then remove grain and proceed to boil, adding light LME once boiled (turn off boil when adding, then light up again for the hour)

Was everything else correct?

You can do a partial mash if you want to even with a 15l pan.
There's a couple of easy to follow partial mash tutorials if you fancy it.

If you're just steeping then people do it different ways. I think a favourite way is put the water in the pan with the bag of grains. Start heating the water then take the grain out at about 70°C then continue to boil and commence.

Resurrecting an old thread...

I found some Lyle's today so as soon as my LME arrives, it's off to the brewery to make an OSH clone!

B

Back