Re-capping bomber bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
So first off I already know the obvious statement which will be: just drink the whole thing. That being, said sometimes I just don't want to drink an entire bomber bottle because I probably couldn't drive after wards. So I'm wondering has anyone just pored the normal size glass and recapped the bottles with success? Will it stay carbonated and for how long?

It's pretty much the same as recapping a growler, you lose some carbonation, and you expose it to more oxygen, but it'll be fine for a day or two... Not the best, but not terrible...

So first off I already know the obvious statement which will be: just drink the whole thing. That being, said sometimes I just don't want to drink an entire bomber bottle because I probably couldn't drive after wards. So I'm wondering has anyone just pored the normal size glass and recapped the bottles with success? Will it stay carbonated and for how long?

I've done it several times. you WILL lose some carbonation but it does keep it from going flat completely. I never leave it re-cabbed for more than a day but seems to work pretty decently

My wife has one of those air vacuuming wine stoppers for wine bottles that works GREAT. Never tried it for my beer - might be interesting.

My wife has one of those air vacuuming wine stoppers for wine bottles that works GREAT. Never tried it for my beer - might be interesting.

i use this and it works awesome. I actually dont buy growlers for this reason; however if someone finds the wine stopper vacuum seals growler sized PLEASE let me know.

While that would work great for preventing oxidation, the vacuum created would pull more CO2 out of the beer than usual.

While that would work great for preventing oxidation, the vacuum created would pull more CO2 out of the beer than usual.
Not saying that cant happen;however, i have let a beer sit for days in the fridge with one on and never had any flat taste.

Back