RIMS VS HERMS, what if?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplaughlin

Reaction score
I have been considering uping my brew stand to a RIMS or a HERMS system.

Here is what I am thinking instead. Taking coiled copper, much like a wort

chiller, and installing it into my mash tun. Than pumping hot water from my HLT

through it. For example, when i go to mash out I would heat my water to 170

and pump it through the copper in the mash tun until the temp is reached.

This would alaw the heat exchange to take place right in the mash tun without

the temperature ever exceeding the target temp. It would also keep only

clean water runing through my lines makeing them easier to keep clean and

maintain. What do you think?

So, you are talking about having your HERMS coil in the mash?

That just sounds like a PITA to keep clean.

More so than running the wort through the coil because, IIRC, most HERMS brewers run their sparge water through their coil to collect the wort from inside it. Tah Dah! Clean, inside and out.

I see your point about cleaning but i wouldn't think it would be different then getting leaf

hops off a wort chiller. I just put mine in some water with vinegar in it to clean than give

it a good rinse with clean water or lefter over sanitizer.

If you installed the coils in your mash tun to heat the mash, you would still need to stir the mash to ensure even heating. Constant stirring of the mash is a PITA

If you install the coils in your hlt and recirc the mash with a pump, this is taken care of by the pump.

I have been considering uping my brew stand to a RIMS or a HERMS system.

Here is what I am thinking instead. Taking coiled copper, much like a wort

chiller, and installing it into my mash tun. Than pumping hot water from my HLT

through it. For example, when i go to mash out I would heat my water to 170

and pump it through the copper in the mash tun until the temp is reached.

This would alaw the heat exchange to take place right in the mash tun without

the temperature ever exceeding the target temp. It would also keep only

clean water runing through my lines makeing them easier to keep clean and

maintain. What do you think?

You can not reinvent the wheel unless in your situation you are bored and insist on making your brew day more difficult than is necessary. Cleaning it what a PITA but again don't knock another persons brew system if they are happy with it.

I was thinking about that and started to consider an electric stir (ya i know its more work but i have tinker). Now, wouldn't you have to stir the mash

anyway or does the constent flow of the wort enough to get even heat distribution?

If you are pumping and heating water, it makes more sense to use a typical HERMS coil. Pump the mash, not the wter. There is no real cleaning to a HERMS coil... simply pump your sparge water through it, that will clean it out almost completely.

If you place a coil in the MASH and run hot water through it... how will you stir the mash?

Where will your temp probe go?

There is less equipment and hassle involved in running a typical HERMS. They are very simple, efficient and do not require stirring the mash.

ONE benefit to a HERMS or RIMS is that you have SUPER clear wort since you are recirculating it for an hour. Your proposed method would not give you this benefit.

I'm seeing the point to a traditional HERMS. Thanks for kicking around the idea

with me, it help me to focus my creativity.

OK, this may seem like an obvious question but how do you run sparge water through the coil. Are

you running freshwater thought it using the HLT to heat it or are you running the

existing water in the HLT through it. I'm thinking of using the heated water of the HLT

through it by using a disconnect on one end with a hose that would run down to the

bottom. The pump would obviously have to run from the HLT to the MT.

Here is what kills me about a HERMS, no stiring! It does every thing a comercial tank does ecept stir, wich increases the efficiancy. Seems to me the wheel does need upgading period. AB gets 95 % because of stirin rakes, gaps are greated to help wash the grains, thusly get on with your project how you see fit and happy brewing. I would like to think efficiancy is no. 1 in all grain esle why bother.

OK, this may seem like an obvious question but how do you run sparge water through the coil. Are

you running freshwater thought it using the HLT to heat it or are you running the

existing water in the HLT through it. I'm thinking of using the heated water of the HLT

through it by using a disconnect on one end with a hose that would run down to the

bottom. The pump would obviously have to run from the HLT to the MT.

You use the hot water in the HLT that was used for the HERMS HEX as your sparge water, you pump it throught the coil. That is how I run my E-HERMS... I get about 85% efficiency.

Here is what kills me about a HERMS, no stiring! It does every thing a comercial tank does ecept stir, wich increases the efficiancy. Seems to me the wheel does need upgading period. AB gets 95 % because of stirin rakes, gaps are greated to help wash the grains, thusly get on with your project how you see fit and happy brewing. I would like to think efficiancy is no. 1 in all grain esle why bother.

I dont think anyone thinks efficiency is #1 in AG brewing. It is nice, but not the goal

Many people use mash mixers... but I have never heard of them breaking 85% efficiency which does not take a mash mixer. I am just pointing out that you can build whatever you like, but it isnt necessarily going to give you any benefit

I would say that there is not a single process in brewing that couldn't be improved. The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented, but can always be improved. If it wasn't, our cars would have stone wheels still. :D

However, as mentioned changing for sake of changing is fine, but you may not experience the benefit that you are hoping for, and in the process you may make things more difficult.

So, you are talking about having your HERMS coil in the mash?

That just sounds like a PITA to keep clean.

More so than running the wort through the coil because, IIRC, most HERMS brewers run their sparge water through their coil to collect the wort from inside it. Tah Dah! Clean, inside and out.

+1, this is what I do, works great.

AB gets 95 % because of stirin rakes, gaps are greated to help wash the grains, thusly get on with your project how you see fit and happy brewing. I would like to think efficiancy is no. 1 in all grain esle why bother.

I brew all grain to make delicious beer... but way to pull out AB on a homebrew thread. That takes balls. Congrats.

AB is a good point to make, it may not be my go to bland beer but a BL always taste like a Bl.

... yea, and I'm sure my pee still tastes like it did when I was a curious tot, but I'm not going to drink it ever again either.

... yea, and I'm sure my pee still tastes like it did when I was a curious tot, but I'm not going to drink it ever again either.

Actually, I highly doubt your pee tastes the same as it did when you were a curious tot, different inputs means different output, just sayin'.

wow... you revived a thread that has been dead for 20 months to do some BMC bashing? most people just start a new thread for that. ;)

:mug:

I was doing a little research and couldn't resist. I shouldn't bash too much though, I have a Chickalob Ultra clone in the fridge for my neighbor who replaced my mailbox when it got smashed while I was out of town.

Back