Does anybody brew in Northern Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
Seems like there should be some homebrewers in Utah since you can't find a decent brew anywhere. I just moved out here and I'm looking for some brew buddies. I live in Ogden and brew at least every other week I've been brewing for 15 years though I took a four year hiatus during that time. I have been brewing all grain for most of that time. Would like to get together for some bulk supplies purchases if nothing else.
Shoot me an email
Gregg Updike
[email protected]

I've seen some posters from the Layton and Ogden area, I know they're around here somewhere. One in Farmington too.

I recently moved to Clearfield and do some brewing. Went to a Hill Hoparazzi Homebrew Club meeting this past Friday and met with a bunch of other local homebrewers. Inspired me to make some wine today as thats all I had ingredients for... Hope to get to brewing again soon. Normally do 10 gallon all grain batches. Looking to do a pumpkin ale and a winter ale in the next week or two...

West Valley, Utah. Just started, doing extract, working on my 4th batch. Been bottling, but im trying to get a kegging operation going soon.

Hey Yewtah, That's cool. What kind of brew have you made so far?
I'm gonna attempt the BJCP entrance exam next month. I plan to go to the tasting exam sometime this year. If you're in Utah and interested let me know.

Going to the Salt City Brew Supply meeting on the 13th. Time to get the Utah brewers united. Been brewin' for awhile and would love get together with fellow brewers.

I just started, My first was a mexican cervesa kit from beer nut, an amber ale from Arts brew supply, and 2 kits I picked up from ksl. 1 was a porter and the other is a IPA, just the basics for now, I like the lighter stuff, but open to taste anything. I want to try an orange witt beer, or Asahi Dry clone. From what I understand the Asahi will be a grain type and require fermenting at 40 degrees, so It might not be in the near future.

Cool that your going to atempt the exam, let me know how it goes. I personally am not ready for that as a spectator mabey!

Hey Yewtah, That's cool. What kind of brew have you made so far?
I'm gonna attempt the BJCP entrance exam next month. I plan to go to the tasting exam sometime this year. If you're in Utah and interested let me know.

Going to the Salt City Brew Supply meeting on the 13th. Time to get the Utah brewers united. Been brewin' for awhile and would love get together with fellow brewers.

I was just there, they made no mention of it, Thanks for the info, If im available I'll check it out!

I'm in Park City. I do all grain, mostly 10 gal batches and experiment. I'm using a 15.5 gal keg for a mastun that I built.....works great. Clone recipes from online seem to work out well and you get close to beers than you already like.

So I got impatient and took the BJCP entrance exam early. I passed that sucka! :rockin: There are some serious stumpers on there and with not much time to think about it you really gotta set aside some study time. I've had some free time while on IR so took advantage and hit the books/flashcards/audiobooks/videos... yea it was eat, sleep and of course drink ... knowledge for the past couple months. But knocked that first step out. Got the tasting exam in August. I'll have to get down to Salt lake and visit these shops sometime.

Hi neighbors, I'm a new brewer from Ogden. I've always loved beer and wanted to brew, just never had the space or place. Finally bought a house and getting set up with two fermenters. I'd love all the advice and tips I can get!!

I'm basically starting off easy right now and by summer I'm going to get things growing in my yard to ferment/eat. Hopefully in the next month I can move to partial mash/extract brews and then get in to strait grain after that.

Welcome samorg and N8...sounds like we really need to plan something with this group once the weather warms up and we come out of hibernation...:tank:

Hi neighbors, I'm a new brewer from Ogden. I've always loved beer and wanted to brew, just never had the space or place. Finally bought a house and getting set up with two fermenters. I'd love all the advice and tips I can get!!

I'm basically starting off easy right now and by summer I'm going to get things growing in my yard to ferment/eat. Hopefully in the next month I can move to partial mash/extract brews and then get in to strait grain after that.

Hi: I am about a year ahead of you. A couple of suggestions. Move to all grain; it is better and cheaper and you will learn a lot more. Look on KSL classifieds or other sites. People sell everything you need for pennies on the dollar. Do ten gal batches instead of five. The setup and cleanup is 90% of the work. Brew outside, even in winter. Less mess, less marital strife. An outdoor propane burner will boil 3 times as fast as your stovetop. You can buy your two row grain by the sack to save over half the cost. Hops in bulk too. Re-use your yeast.

Another Utah brewer here (Cottonwood Heights). Doing extract and partial mash batches. Working on PM then maybe move to AG. I missed the SCBS event. Maybe next time.

Another Utah brewer here (Cottonwood Heights). Doing extract and partial mash batches. Working on PM then maybe move to AG. I missed the SCBS event. Maybe next time.

Good to hear from you. I live in WVC, but I;m up in CH tonight for work. Thursday graveyard shift only, occasionally I smell wort cooking when i'm on my routes. I know this hobby is growing!

I missed the event also! I'm sure there will be more coming.

Hi: I am about a year ahead of you. A couple of suggestions. Move to all grain; it is better and cheaper and you will learn a lot more. Look on KSL classifieds or other sites. People sell everything you need for pennies on the dollar. Do ten gal batches instead of five. The setup and cleanup is 90% of the work. Brew outside, even in winter. Less mess, less marital strife. An outdoor propane burner will boil 3 times as fast as your stovetop. You can buy your two row grain by the sack to save over half the cost. Hops in bulk too. Re-use your yeast.

As I was reading this my wife just asked me when I was going to put my supplies away too funny!

I agree with you 100 percent on all your wisdom that you just shared! I am going to buy some rysomes and try growing some hops. wont see untill fall at soonest, but I'm going to look into the bulk hop thing for now.

I have found all grain doesn't take more space, its just a 10 gal cooler/mash-tun. Its the time that will consume you.

I'm in Park City. I do all grain, mostly 10 gal batches and experiment. I'm using a 15.5 gal keg for a mastun that I built.....works great. Clone recipes from online seem to work out well and you get close to beers than you already like.

Now that I have 7 batches under my belt I am going to 10 gallon batches, You couldnt be more correct in that its the clean up and prep that costs the most in time. When You do the 10 gal batches do you double the yeast and hops? grain is cheap. I just bought my Asahi clone ingredients and will be doing it this weekend. The grain/rice for a 5 gallon batch was 13.00.

Hello all,

Brewing out of Roy now, I have got 6 five gallon batches under my belt. Partial mash is what I have worked up to as of right now. Still learning about all grain and I know I want to get to it soon. I have done several wines and a very tasty looking mead.

Hello all,

Brewing out of Roy now, I have got 6 five gallon batches under my belt. Partial mash is what I have worked up to as of right now. Still learning about all grain and I know I want to get to it soon. I have done several wines and a very tasty looking mead.

All grain really isn't that difficult. With this site I was able to get the resources and feedback I needed to make the jump. That was about twenty batches ago. I have since made a keezer that holds six corneys and am considering doing 15 gal batches in sankes. All grain is the most economical way to brew and it offers the most customization.

Agree! allgrain is more customizable, It takes a little more effort, but not much. I use a 10 galllon igloo water cooler converted to a mash-tun, 6.5 gallon brew pot and that is all you really need to get started with all-grain.

I recently bought a 50lb bag of 2 row. If you buy in bulk like this youll need a way to crush the grain. I had a corona mill on hand, thought it would suck, but its been fine for my needs. I cant see myself buying a fancy gorilla mill before a bigger brew kettle.

6 corny keezer! I'm jealous. I will make that jump when I get a bigger house. I thought about 10 gallon batches with what I have on hand, but it would be difficult and I would have to be verrry organized!

gupdike1: I strongly disagree that you can't "find a decent brew anywhere" in Utah. Wasatch, Squatters, Uinta, Moab, Shades of Pale, Epic and several others have won many awards in brewing competitions. I know several of the owners or brewmasters and those folks are very supportive of home brewers.
I've been doing all-grain for a couple of years using a 3 keg system. I buy sacks of grain from a brewer friend to cut cost, order hops in bulk, use Safale yeast or save my own and the costs go down dramatically. I bought most of my equipment used from other brewers and made my own mashtun. Next up- grow my own hops. Good luck. I'm not an expert yet but contact me with questions.

gupdike1: I strongly disagree that you can't "find a decent brew anywhere" in Utah. Wasatch, Squatters, Uinta, Moab, Shades of Pale, Epic and several others have won many awards in brewing competitions. I know several of the owners or brewmasters and those folks are very supportive of home brewers.
I've been doing all-grain for a couple of years using a 3 keg system. I buy sacks of grain from a brewer friend to cut cost, order hops in bulk, use Safale yeast or save my own and the costs go down dramatically. I bought most of my equipment used from other brewers and made my own mashtun. Next up- grow my own hops. Good luck. I'm not an expert yet but contact me with questions.

Makes me wana go to Wasatch and fill my growler. they do make quality beer and your supporting local business:rockin:!

I'm in the southwest corner of Salt Lake County.

For the way-up-north, there is a homebrew shop in Richmond. I haven't been in it, but I saw it when I was at the city offices up there.

I'm in the southwest corner of Salt Lake County.

For the way-up-north, there is a homebrew shop in Richmond. I haven't been in it, but I saw it when I was at the city offices up there.

I like the Richmond store. It is small, but well stocked. He sells 50# sacks of grain and is the only place I've seen with leaf hops not just pellets.

The Beernut sells leaf. At least they used to. I haven't been in there looking for it for a long time. I don't know if Art's or Salt City sell any leaf of not.

Lately I've been on a New Zealand hop kick. So I've been using a lot of pellet.

Cottonwood Heights brewer here as well! Very new to the craft - just started a cider last week and got supplied at SCBS - nice guys. Looking to start off their Irish Red kit in a month or so. I'm getting excited to have a few batches going and start drinking my own.

As for space - the lonely under-stair closet is my lair for now.... I'll be seeing about converting more space if I really take to this hobby.

Cottonwood Heights brewer here as well! Very new to the craft - just started a cider last week and got supplied at SCBS - nice guys. Looking to start off their Irish Red kit in a month or so. I'm getting excited to have a few batches going and start drinking my own.

As for space - the lonely under-stair closet is my lair for now.... I'll be seeing about converting more space if I really take to this hobby.

Welcome!

SCBS is an awesome LHBS that I think we're lucky to have.

If I could offer a single tip, it'd be temp control. It makes all the difference.

I used my cellar and downstairs bathroom closet for fermenting for many years. I just finished my first two beers that fermented and lagered in my fermentation chamber. Ideally, a used chest freezer and a STC-1000 controller are the way to go.

I live in West Valley. Have a IIPA fermenting 10 days now. Got supplies from Salt City Brewing Co. They were awesome. I really liked how I could tell the guy what I needed and he'd go fetch it, rather than me wandering around like an idiot and asking where everything was. He was really patient w/ me too because I was getting supplies for 3 brews and had a lot of different stuff I needed.

I live in West Valley. Have a IIPA fermenting 10 days now. Got supplies from Salt City Brewing Co. They were awesome. I really liked how I could tell the guy what I needed and he'd go fetch it, rather than me wandering around like an idiot and asking where everything was. He was really patient w/ me too because I was getting supplies for 3 brews and had a lot of different stuff I needed.

I'm in WVC too, If you ever need anything let me know!

See, I'm the opposite. I want to fetch my own grains. It took me a few visits before I could let go of doing it.

Latest posts

Back