Brewing 22 gallons tomorrow, anyone else brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
It's been 2 months since I've been able to brew (pesky back surgery), but I'm doing up 22 gallons tomorrow. I've enlisted the help of a couple of buddies since I'm still not supposed to be lifting anything over 10#.

Recipies:

HopHed Pale Ale (11 gallons)

20.5# American 2-row 91.1%
2# Crystal 20L 8.89%

2 oz. Warrior 16.4% aa 60 min 52 IBU
2 oz. Hallertauer 6.00% aa 15 min 9.4 IBU
1 oz. Sterling 5.6% aa 10 min 3.2 IBU
1 oz Hallertauer 6.00% aa 5 min 1.9 IBU
1 oz Hallertauer 6.00% aa 2 min .8 IBU
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Danstar Nottingham dry yeast.

Target OG = 1.055
Target IBU = 67.3
Target SRM = 5.9

The last brew I did was 5 gallons of this (in the recipe database) and it's one of my favorites to date. I had to adjust the hop schedule a bit according to my inventory, but it should be very similar. Despite the IBU level being high for the BJCP style guidelines for an APA, this is a very balanced, clear brew.

Robust Porter: (11 gallons)

21.5# American 2-row 86%
1# Crystal 60L 4%
1# Chocolate Malt 4%
1# Special B 4%
.5# Black Patent 2%

2 oz. Amarillo Gold 10.0% aa 60 min 30.5 IBU
1 oz. Centennial 8.8% aa 15 min 6.7 IBU
1 oz. Willamette 3.8% aa 10 min 1.2 IBU
1 tsp. Irish Moss 15 min

WLP007 Dry English Ale

Target OG = 1.060
Target IBU = 38.3
Target SRM = 30.2

Tomorrow? Pshaw! Talk to me in about 3 hours---I'll be mashed in. Got my water waiting, my grain measured and ready to be crushed, and I'm going to the UPS distribution center in 30 minutes to pick up my new 60qt kettle.

22 gallons, though? That's hardcore. You have yourself a good time, and lemme know how it goes.

I haven't brewed anything in 5 weeks, but I can't attribute that to anything but having too much beer already. I'm really itching to get this off the ground.

Evan! said:
Tomorrow? Pshaw! Talk to me in about 3 hours---I'll be mashed in. Got my water waiting, my grain measured and ready to be crushed, and I'm going to the UPS distribution center in 30 minutes to pick up my new 60qt kettle.

22 gallons, though? That's hardcore. You have yourself a good time, and lemme know how it goes.

I haven't brewed anything in 5 weeks, but I can't attribute that to anything but having too much beer already. I'm really itching to get this off the ground.

So that makes it about 3.5 hours until you start hitting up the latest round of brews I sent ya paired with some SBJ (which I'm going to have and review when I get home this evening btw)?

Yeah...actually I got into the HK and 30 last night. Couldn't get a wifi signal so I couldn't check the symbols, and I could have sworn the pale ale was a wit.

Enjoy Sweet Baby Jesus...

Glad to hear you're off the couch and brewing again!

I've had a few weeks off too but plan on brewing a Scottish 90/- tomorrow. Found a great looking recipe in the book SWMBO got for my birthday. Hopefully the washed yeast I pitched into a starter last night will take off soon, but I didn't see any signs of activity when I got up this morning. Cross your fingers for me!

Evan! said:
Yeah...actually I got into the HK and 30 last night. Couldn't get a wifi signal so I couldn't check the symbols, and I could have sworn the pale ale was a wit.

Enjoy Sweet Baby Jesus...

A Wit? Seriously? How cold was it when you drank it? Were you already lit? :D

21DD is the Wit.

Evan! said:

Dude, I could've sworn you just recently said you are taking a break because of the "too much beer" situation. Glad to see that fell through.

I'm brewing tommorow; a version of Orfy's Hobgoblin with the grains I have on hand:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.58 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 16.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.97 %
0.70 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.34 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.82 %
0.40 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.05 %
0.15 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 1.91 %
0.15 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 1.91 %
0.40 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.40 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) (FirstHops 6.8 IBU
0.40 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.40 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort HopHops 5.7 IBU
0.40 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.40 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.10 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 16.37 qt of water at 168.2 F 156.0 F

My Club's delayed Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day is tomorrow. First time brewing away from home. Got all my stuff packed up last night since the wife and I are going out tonight sans kid.

I need to rack my Pale, though, since I'm gonna save the cake to pitch when I get back from the party.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Mike McDole's American Brown Ale
Brewer: Kyle Nordquist
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.14 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 19.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.36 %
1.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.25 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.80 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.4 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) (Mash HHops 3.9 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 4.3 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 17.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.39 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Ó Flannagáin said:
Dude, I could've sworn you just recently said you are taking a break because of the "too much beer" situation. Glad to see that fell through.

I did take a break! If I'm not mistaken, 5 weeks is the longest hiatus that I've taken since I got into this godforsaken hobby 15 months ago. And all the empty carboys laying around my brewery have placated the wife nicely ;) That, and I finally consolidated my cases. Her main objection is not that I brew too much, it's that she doesn't like having all those cases sitting around taking up space.

Evan! said:
I did take a break! If I'm not mistaken, 5 weeks is the longest hiatus that I've taken since I got into this godforsaken hobby 15 months ago. And all the empty carboys laying around my brewery have placated the wife nicely ;) That, and I finally consolidated my cases. Her main objection is not that I brew too much, it's that she doesn't like having all those cases sitting around taking up space.

My wife's the same way, as long as I keep everything tidy and consolidated, she doesn't mind. When I showed up with 17 pounds of grain, a pound of hops, and a new MLT yesterday she actually didn't roll her eyes. She actually asked what I was brewing and what the cooler was for! Awesome!

PseudoChef said:
My wife's the same way, as long as I keep everything tidy and consolidated, she doesn't mind. When I showed up with 17 pounds of grain, a pound of hops, and a new MLT yesterday she actually didn't roll her eyes. She actually asked what I was brewing and what the cooler was for! Awesome!

My wife passed the 'rolling eyes' stage a quite some time ago as well. If there's a UPS box on the porch, she knows I'm brewing within the next couple days or I got a new toy.

She just asks what I'm brewing and when I'm brewing it so she knows when she can go shopping or some other activity that she enjoys. Sometimes she even helps out, which is fun.

Yeah, when I slung 110 lbs of grain on the kitchen table the other day, she rolled her eyes hardcore. But it's all in jest. She loves my beer, supports the hobby, and when I told her that by going All-Grain, I'd lowered my cost per batch to about $15, she just smiles and lets me be.

Bobby_M said:
Tomorrow? We're doing probably 80-100 gallons.
Bragger :D

I’m going to try and get my 11 gallon batch of Northern Brewer Blonde done in under 4 hours tonight.

That and some miscellaneous piddling around in the brew shop…gotta get some beer bottled and packaged for an upcoming…er…uh…”event”. ;)

Man I love Friday nights… :ban:

My primaries are still full :( Damn lagers!

Then deer hunting next weekend. It starting to look like the next batch is after Thanksgiving or early December for me. :(

I think I'm FINALLY going to get an Old Speckeled Hen clone done on Sunday. Double header playoff football here in Canada so there's nothing to do but watch the gridiron and brew some suds.

BierMuncher, I'm doing your recipe. How did it turn out for you?

I took the day off today after working through last weekend. Been Brewing since about 9 this morning.

Fingers said:
I think I'm FINALLY going to get an Old Speckeled Hen clone done on Sunday. Double header playoff football here in Canada so there's nothing to do but watch the gridiron and brew some suds.

BierMuncher, I'm doing your recipe. How did it turn out for you?
Credit goes to Orfy…I just converted it to Yankee numbers.

Very nice. A good winter "warmer". What did you do for invert sugar?

I bottled some up the other night (for reasons we shall not mention ;)) and just 5 weeks out...it's very good.

Glibbidy said:
I'm going to make some more bohemian pilsner tonight. I got a yeast cake just begging to be dumped on!

I'm planning to make the same thing tomorrow, only I don't know how "Bohemian" it will be since I'm taking a little liberty with the yeast. I'm using White Labs WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast since it will handle slightly warmer temperatures, and I expect it to be a little more forgiving if I mess up with the temperature and get a bit too much on the warm side.

9.5 # Pilsen Malt
.5 # Crystal 20

1 oz Sterling @ 60 minutes
.75oz Sazz @ 60 minutes

1 oz Sazz @ 30 minutes

I'm hoping to hit 1.046, and I've got 3#s of Munton's Hopped DME stocked up just in case I need a bit of help with the gravity since this will be the first time I've mashed a full 10 pounds of grain.

I've got another 10#s of Marris Otter, along with a few pounds of Cara Vienna and an assload of Centenial and Cascades, so I might try and make a second batch this weekend if I get to feeling really ambitious since I've got another Ale that should be ready to come off the yeast cake by then.

Temperatures here have been just awesome the last week or so, perfect Ale temps on my back porch in the shade all day long - bring em in at night so they don't get to cold and put em back out after the kids go to school and they stay low 60s until dark, then just set em in the kitchen door till morning.

I'm going to brew up another batch of my dunken wizen, this time with a hefe yeast (as long as the LHBS has hefe yeast anyway). It turned out great last batch, and this is going to be my first fermented in glass. Can't wait to watch that change :)

Brewing tomorrow, but still have NO friggin clue what..... I will more than likely just wander around the brew shop till something hits me. *shrug*

Sunday....Oatmeal stout...6gal ...based on Jamil's recipe.

Grain Bill
-------------------------
9.40 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain
1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats
0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt
0.75 lbs. Victory Malt
0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L
0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley

Hops
1.80 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 60 min.

Yeast
-----
Safale S-04

Yel

I'll be doing a 1.072 Spiced Brown Festivus Ale sometime this weekend.

Cinnamon. Nutmeg. Cloves. YUCK!!

I think it's lame as all get out, but my buddy thinks we need to do it.

I'd rather be doing a Stone IPA :p

jezter6 said:
I'll be doing a 1.072 Spiced Brown Festivus Ale sometime this weekend.

Cinnamon. Nutmeg. Cloves. YUCK!!

I think it's lame as all get out, but my buddy thinks we need to do it.

I'd rather be doing a Stone IPA :p

I just popped a holiday ale to see how things are coming along. It had cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, honey and fresh orange peel. Cascade hops. Actually, it's pretty good but needs another two weeks in the bottle.

I'm glad I have some for the holiday's.

I'm also happy I stuck with only a 5 gallon batch. :)

This is a clean out the fridge Pale ale. Damn LHBS was out of Cascade

. American Pale Ales, American Pale Ale Extract
Color

Stats
OG 1.057
FG 1.014
IBU 49
ABV 5.5 %
SRM 7

Specifics
Boil Volume 3 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low High
OG 1.045 1.057 1.056
FG 1.010 1.014 1.015
IBU 20 49 40
SRM 4 7 11
ABV 4.5 5.5 5.7

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
80.0 % 6.00 Light Dry Malt Extract 54.0 2.4
13.3 % 1.00 Crystal 20L 2.0 4.0
6.7 % 0.50 Belgian Biscuit 1.0 2.3
7.50 57.0
Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
33.3 % 1.00 Northern Brewer Pellet 6.9 6.9 60 0.050 34.7
16.7 % 0.50 Saaz Pellet 3.5 1.8 20 0.018 3.1
16.7 % 0.50 Tettnanger Pellet 4.5 2.3 20 0.018 4.0
16.7 % 0.50 Fuggles Pellet 5.1 2.6 20 0.018 4.6
16.7 % 0.50 Fuggles Pellet 5.1 2.6 10 0.011 2.7
3.00 49.2

I brewing what I call Skraelings Kolch - an old school german style lawnmower beer. About 5% alcohol to be a nice session beer. Can't go wrong with double 07 Wyeast. This will be my fourth AG in a week and I am stoked. I just racked my Harvest Ale into a keg last night and went to rack my Honey Porter into a secondary and much to my shagrin, it was still fermenting at a nice 62*F. That is awesome. I have a Quad B in an Bourbon Oak Barrel (1 week in) fermenting away waiting for my return on Black Friday (can't wait for that one). Anyway nothing special about this next batch, just a nice session beer.

Here is the recipe:

7.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain
1.25 lb Carahelle - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Tradition [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast-Ale

- WW

Yep, i'll be brewing up 5gallons of the Oktoberfest/Marzen listed in Palmer's How to Brew, but it'll be using Wyeast Kolsch yeast, so technically a mock-toberfest

probably all I'll have time to brew this month with the holiday and then a business trip the first week of december.

I was lucky, out of the 4 bottles of white labs wlp300 ONE vial had a november date on it :ban:

and now i have a proper thermometer to brew with.. hard to be accurate with a candy thermometer :)

For a steep'n specialty grain this recipie is awesome! I'm excited to see what entire fermentation in a glass carboy is going to do it. last time i used a bucket and a british ale yeast :).

I'm doing my third PM on Sunday - it'll be a pale ale of sorts. I've got a red/amber ale to rack to secondary and was considering pitching onto the cake from it for this weekend's batch. I picked up some Safale US05 with my ingredients in case I decide against it but I'm leaning towards pitching right onto the cake. I've only done it once before - pitched a Dunkel onto a Hefe cake. It worked out great but I've read in several places that you should pitch darker than the cake. What the hell - onto the cake it goes!!!!!

I'm doing my first 10G batch Sunday

Nut Brown Ale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 11/11/2007
Style: American Brown Ale Brewer: SuperiorBrew
Batch Size: 11.00 gal Assistant Brewer: Brew Dog
Boil Volume: 13.84 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %

Brewing Steps Check Time Step
11/11/2007 Clean and prepare equipment.
-- Measure ingredients, crush grains.
-- Prepare 16.74 gal water for brewing
-- Prepare Ingredients for Mash
Amount Item Type
18 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain

2 min Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 25.00 qt of water at 166.4 F
60 min - Hold mash at 150.0 F for 60 min
2 min Mash Out: Add 16.00 qt of water at 203.0 F
10 min - Hold mash at 168.0 F for 10 min
-- Sparge with 6.49 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 13.84 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.047 SG with all grains/extracts added
Boil for 60 min Boil Ingredients
Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 2.00 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops
2 min 2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (2 min) Hops

-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
-- Add water (as needed) to achieve volume of 11.00 gal
-- Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.
-- Add Ingredients to Fermenter
Amount Item Type
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

11/11/2007 Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.055 SG)
11/11/2007 Measure Batch Volume: ________ (Estimate: 11.00 gal)
1 days Ferment in primary for 1 days at 68.0 F
11/12/2007 Transfer to Secondary Fermenter
2 days Ferment in secondary for 2 days at 68.0 F
11/14/2007 Measure Final Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.013 SG)
-- Keg beer at 38.0 F at a pressure of 14.4 PSI
3.0 Weeks Age for 3.0 Weeks at 38.0 F
12/05/2007 Sample and enjoy!

Back