Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brew primarily beer and i would like to do a cider if someone has a good simple recipe they would share with me i would love it not sure when i will do a cider but it will nice to have a recipe for when i decide to!

Apple juice that you like from store, preferably with no additives. Ferments for about a month, needs another 2 months to clear and age. Prime if you want bubbles and bottle.

Yeast choice will affect the character of the cider.
Wine yeast - Will make the cider taste very much like a dry white wine with some apple flavor. Some people kick this up with a few cans of frozen concentrate or brown sugar to bring it into the 8-10% abv. A real panty dropper as it goes down smoooooth.
Ale yeast - Will leave a bit more(or less) fruitiness behind but will still ferment to a very dry finish. Usually closer than a wine yeast to what people have in mind when they think cider.
Cider yeast - Should generate something strongbow like, depending on your initial juice selection.

My next experiment is a Sweet Mead yeast to see if I can get a bit of the sweetness to stick around for the SWMBO.

Do a search for "apfelwein" and you will find a HUGE thread for a very tasty, extraordinarily simple recipe. A little bit dry, though; it's not a cider, it's an apple wine, but it's VERY nice.

I noticed some of the sweetness stays if you prime it with a quart of apple juice instead of sugar.

Thanks for the tip i was looking through and it seems its pretty simple just a matter of little details. I am prolly gonna go ahead and wait till cider is in season and get some really fresh cider to use and make like 10 gallons or so.

A while back I saw some site that advertised a cider "flavor enhancer". Shipping costs for a $5 item are always outrageous so I never bought it, but I've been wondering what was in it.

Back