Help me understand my water.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBock

Reaction score
I am just getting started trying to understand where I sit as far as water chemistry goes. I did not do well in my college chem classes, so I consider myself a dullard when it comes to this stuff, so please bear with me. I am just looking for a little input from your experience and knowledge to get me started/pointed in the right direction. Obviously, I will be doing a lot of research to get where I want to go.

Here is my water profile from the city:

Calcium 23 PPM
Calcium Hardness 55 PPM
Magnesium 32 PPM
Sodium 25 PPM
Sulfates 178 PPM
Alkalinity 40 PPM
Chlorine 1 PPM

My questions are:

1. Alkalinity is referring to the carbonate/bicarbonate level, correct? (HCO3?)

2. What's the difference between Calcium and Calcium Hardness? (straight calcium and calcium-carbonate?)

3. If this was your water, would you be worried about anything? (brewing an IPA / Pils / Stout / etc..)

(The first two questions are geared toward just getting the correct levels entered into BeerSmith.)

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on most facets of brewing, except this. I feel like I'm on the edge of the Abyss, getting ready to jump!:eek:

This is a lime-softened water that is taken from shallow wells along the rivers in town. The hardness is not a problem, but I notice that the city is only conducting a lime softening process that removes calcium and not magnesium.

The alkalinity is nice and low since they re-carbonate the water and reduce the pH for distribution to customers. The low alkalinity is going to make brewing a darker style more problematic, but lighter colored beers should have no problem.

The magnesium level is sort of high, as is the sulfate level. This water is well suited to hoppy beers, but is going to be troublesome for lighter and maltier styles since the Mg and SO4 are going to make the flavor harsher.

Diluting the water to control the sulfate level is going to be your primary concern. Adding alkalinity to allow for brewing darker styles may be another concern. I recommend getting familiar with pickling lime to serve as your alkalinity source. Bru'n Water gives you the tools for dealing with that stuff.

I'm hoping that your moniker, Billybock is referring to the picture since this water will be tough to brew a good Bock with.

Enjoy!

1. Alkalinity refers to the buffering capacity of the water. That number (40) means that someone in a laboratory added 0.8 cc of 0.1N sulfuric acid to 100 mL of the water to bring the pH to some value near 4.3 (with the actual value being at the discretion of the laboratory). He then multiplied by 50 to get the value 40. Thus bicarbonate, hydroxyl and carbonate ion all have an effect on alkalinity. These are the only alkaline things found in potable water (fortunately). It is also fortunate that potable water usually has a pH below 8.3. In such cases bicarbonate is the only significant contributor. You can, then, divide the alkalinity by 50 to get the milliequivalents and mutiply by 61 (equivalent weight of bicarbonate) to calculate the mg/L bicarbonate.
61*40/50 = 48.8 mg/L bicarbonate.
2. Alkalinity is 50 times the number of milliequivalents of acid required to reduce the pH of a liter the water to 4.3 (or so). Calcium hardness is 50 times the number of milliequivalents of a chelating agent required to sequester all the calcium in a liter of the water. Just as with the alkalinity you can divide the reported calcium hardness by 50 and multiply by the equivalent weight of calcium (20) to get the concentration of calcium ion:
20*55/50 =22 mg/L Calcium
And similarly for magnesium hardness where the equivalent weight is 12/15
3.The thing I would worry about with this water is the high sulfate levels. Lots of beers can be brewed with high sulfate water but anything using noble hops (Pils, Helles....) cannot. Unfortunately the only way to dispose of high sulfate is with RO or distillation or heavy dilution of the water with RO or DI water which amounts to the same thing. Or you can just avoid beers that use noble hops.

It is definitely weird that your magnesium hardness is more than double your calcium hardness. Not a problem necessarily, just weird.

In this lime-softened water, the high Mg is not a surprise at all. The process the City is apparently using is only taking the pH to about 10 and that is not sufficient to precipitate the Mg. I'd say that the water had too little temporary hardness to make it worthwhile for the City to try and take out the Mg too. The net result is that the Ca concentration fell and the Mg stays the same.

I wonder if the issue with sulfate is the type of hop or if its the style of beer? I don't know if sulfate clashes with the noble hop character or if the sulfate drys out the typically more malty styles that they are used in? AJ, have you deciphered that possibility already? I'm just curious.

In this lime-softened water, the high Mg is not a surprise at all.
I said it was surprising because I don't think I've ever seen it in a water report before from which I conclude that most municipalities that have magnesium at this level use the excess lime/split process. I've never done a survey or anything robust like that but I've seen a lot of water reports and if it caught my eye here I would think it would have caught my eye before. OTOH memory is not my long suite. Of course in this case I don't even know that lime softening was done for sure though it would certainly seem likely.

I wonder if the issue with sulfate is the type of hop or if its the style of beer? I don't know if sulfate clashes with the noble hop character or if the sulfate drys out the typically more malty styles that they are used in? AJ, have you deciphered that possibility already? I'm just curious.

No not really. In puzzling over why some beers are brewed with 300 mg/L sulfate and seem OK (though I don't really like them) while even 27 mg SO4 from my well was rending my Pils unpleasantly harsh it occurred to me that there had to be more to it than personal preference. Then I hit on the notion that we pay a premium for 'fine' bitterness in noble hops and the bitterness I was getting with even modest levels of sulfate was definitely not fine. Thus the conclusion that sulfate and noble hops don't mix. Gordon Strong was in the region recently, and gave a talk based on his recent book. In both the book and the talk he made the same assertion: sulfate doesn't work with noble hops. IOW he came, independently (I think) to the same conclusion I did. It is, of course, gratifying to have ones theory backed up by a brewer of his renown.

But saying 'doesn't work with noble hops' is really a lazy way of saying that sulfate may be a problem in some beers more than others, in particular the delicate continental lagers, though ales made with less sulfate are often more pleasing than similar ales brewed with higher sulfate and as if that isn't enough noting that personal preference is also a big factor here. All of this is why I always suggest that people start low with sulfate and work their way up.

No not really. In puzzling over why some beers are brewed with 300 mg/L sulfate and seem OK (though I don't really like them) while even 27 mg SO4 from my well was rending my Pils unpleasantly harsh it occurred to me that there had to be more to it than personal preference. Then I hit on the notion that we pay a premium for 'fine' bitterness in noble hops and the bitterness I was getting with even modest levels of sulfate was definitely not fine. Thus the conclusion that sulfate and noble hops don't mix. Gordon Strong was in the region recently, and gave a talk based on his recent book. In both the book and the talk he made the same assertion: sulfate doesn't work with noble hops. IOW he came, independently (I think) to the same conclusion I did. It is, of course, gratifying to have ones theory backed up by a brewer of his renown.

But saying 'doesn't work with noble hops' is really a lazy way of saying that sulfate may be a problem in some beers more than others, in particular the delicate continental lagers, though ales made with less sulfate are often more pleasing than similar ales brewed with higher sulfate and as if that isn't enough noting that personal preference is also a big factor here. All of this is why I always suggest that people start low with sulfate and work their way up.

I'm on board with the contention that the sulfate can be a problem. Can we deduce that its only with noble hops though? I agree that noble hops have fine bitterness and you wouldn't want to interfere with that effect. I'm wondering if anyone has done an objective test on a malty continental style that is made with a non-noble hop with the only difference being the sulfate level. I'm hypothesizing that its more the sulfate that is less desirable in that style than an uncomplimentary interaction with noble hops. Has anyone performed such a comparison?

1. Alkalinity refers to the buffering capacity of the water. That number (40) means that someone in a laboratory added 0.8 cc of 0.1N sulfuric acid to 100 mL of the water to bring the pH to some value near 4.3 (with the actual value being at the discretion of the laboratory). He then multiplied by 50 to get the value 40. Thus bicarbonate, hydroxyl and carbonate ion all have an effect on alkalinity. These are the only alkaline things found in potable water (fortunately). It is also fortunate that potable water usually has a pH below 8.3. In such cases bicarbonate is the only significant contributor. You can, then, divide the alkalinity by 50 to get the milliequivalents and mutiply by 61 (equivalent weight of bicarbonate) to calculate the mg/L bicarbonate.
61*40/50 = 48.8 mg/L bicarbonate.
2. Alkalinity is 50 times the number of milliequivalents of acid required to reduce the pH of a liter the water to 4.3 (or so). Calcium hardness is 50 times the number of milliequivalents of a chelating agent required to sequester all the calcium in a liter of the water. Just as with the alkalinity you can divide the reported calcium hardness by 50 and multiply by the equivalent weight of calcium (20) to get the concentration of calcium ion:
20*55/50 =22 mg/L Calcium
And similarly for magnesium hardness where the equivalent weight is 12/15
3.The thing I would worry about with this water is the high sulfate levels. Lots of beers can be brewed with high sulfate water but anything using noble hops (Pils, Helles....) cannot. Unfortunately the only way to dispose of high sulfate is with RO or distillation or heavy dilution of the water with RO or DI water which amounts to the same thing. Or you can just avoid beers that use noble hops.

It is definitely weird that your magnesium hardness is more than double your calcium hardness. Not a problem necessarily, just weird.

This is a lime-softened water that is taken from shallow wells along the rivers in town. The hardness is not a problem, but I notice that the city is only conducting a lime softening process that removes calcium and not magnesium.

The alkalinity is nice and low since they re-carbonate the water and reduce the pH for distribution to customers. The low alkalinity is going to make brewing a darker style more problematic, but lighter colored beers should have no problem.

The magnesium level is sort of high, as is the sulfate level. This water is well suited to hoppy beers, but is going to be troublesome for lighter and maltier styles since the Mg and SO4 are going to make the flavor harsher.

Diluting the water to control the sulfate level is going to be your primary concern. Adding alkalinity to allow for brewing darker styles may be another concern. I recommend getting familiar with pickling lime to serve as your alkalinity source. Bru'n Water gives you the tools for dealing with that stuff.

I'm hoping that your moniker, Billybock is referring to the picture since this water will be tough to brew a good Bock with.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the good info!

So the higher sulfates are permanent hardness and will always be present. I'm good for brewing things like English bitters, IPAs, APAs, and the like. Pilsners with noble hops may prove difficult as would maltier beers (I love Bocks). So maybe buy RO water from the grocery store for those. Either use 100% RO or maybe a 50/50 mix RO and tap.

BillyBock is a play on the Bavarian "ein Bock", meaning billy goat. The avatar is August Schell, founder of Schell's Brewing in the small german immigrant town of New Ulm, MN. They are just 20 miles from me and make a seasonal Bock beer that I love. They have a whole festival, called Bockfest, to celebrate the beer. It happens every Feb on the brewery grounds and 3,000 to 4,000 people attend every year.

But it looks like I don't need to do much to my water for right now, as I've been doing a lot of ales (no ability to lager yet) and an occasional stout.

Out of curiosity, what would you describe the harsh flavors on malty beers as tasting like? I tried a high malt, low hop ale that I wanted to be a bock-like beer, but without the lagering. It didn't taste quite right. I know that this will open up a lot of questions about my grain bill, mash temps, ferm temps, yeast, etc, but just humor me.

I really appreciate all the info and will probably have more in the future, being the total newb that I am at this!

That's a tough one. It would be best if you could taste a malty beer made with noble hops and low sulfate water. Everything is 'smooth' i.e. the opposite of rough. A lot od that is the lagering but a lot is the hops. The beer can be quite bitter without the bitter taking over. The problem is that it is hard to find such beers if you don't brew them yourself because most craft breweries that do make, for example, Pilsner, will use a non noble variety for the bittering hop even when they use Saaz for an aroma/finishing hop. If you can find a craft brewery that uses 100% noble hops try their beer. That is far and away the best way to understand what I am talking about.

Rough bitterness sort of grabs you in the back of the throat and is just unpleasant (gagging sensation to me). The same level of fine bitterness is not unpleasant. People pay a premium for noble hops partly so they can brew a more bitter beer (and thus be able to balance more malt sweetness).

Back