Ethics of customer mailing lists

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I wanted to get some feedback from you guys. I have a newsletter system installed on my website so anyone that puts their email address in will get a rare email from me announcing new products or stock updates, etc. It's currently a pure opt-in system. They put their address in and if by some chance they want out immediately, it's a simple one-click link in the newsletter and they are off.

However, I have many more emails in my transaction lists from before I added the newsletter signup. The question is, is it wrong or in poor taste to add previous customers to the mailing list given how easy it is to opt out immediately? I'm torn because even though it would drive sales, I also think a good portion of previous customers would be interested in getting news. Maybe not. Help.

Just to make sure someone isn't reading between the lines, this has nothing to do with selling people's info or anything.

what you do with emails left to you are your business. Unless when you gathered them you explicitly said they won't be used for any purpose then the purchase, you are clear to go. Especially since they may opt out.

Don't sell your list and send me any rare email you want. I use several different addresses I'm not sure which one I used when I ordered from you. But normally I use a disposable one. If i get spam I start a different account. I wouldn't mind hearing from you once in awhile.

I'm with dark. Unless you specifically said you wouldn't use them for anything, I dont see a problem. Though, as you know, you can never please all of the people all of the time.

I've bought from you and would be fine getting a newsletter, especially if the opt in/out was,clear and easy.

I think it's totally fine, as long as you provide an easy way to opt out in the e-mail itself.

I don't quite agree that since you didn't initially specify what you would do with people's e-mails, you can therefore do whatever you want with them. But getting an occasional e-mail from a small business doesn't seem like an abuse of trust. I say go for it.

what you do with emails left to you are your business. Unless when you gathered them you explicitly said they won't be used for any purpose then the purchase, you are clear to go. Especially since they may opt out.

I lean the other way on this one. Unless I explicitly agree to be put on a mailing list, I'd be rather annoyed to start receiving unsolicited emails. The problem with the opt-out links is that spammers use them to verify email addresses (making them more valuable to sell), so you can't always trust the opt-out links.

You could send one email out to all the old emails you've collected inviting them to join your mailing list, then only adding those who agree.

Or you could send out an introductory email welcoming all those who have previously provided you with an email address to the newsletter and include an opt out option on the email. I think you have a pretty solid reputation as a stand up guy. While there will always be a few annoyed individuals I think most will not be bothered - they did provide the email to you in the first place.

jason

I know opt out links are used for nefarious purpose on spam mails but I think I'd take the advice above and include an intro statement in the following newsletter explaining that if you are receiving this for the first time, it is because the email provided in a previous transaction was added to the list. I will apologize to those who have no interest in receiving future emails and here is what you click to opt out for good.

I'd hope that everyone would remember dealing with me in the past and not take it for completely unsolicited spam.

I know opt out links are used for nefarious purpose on spam mails but I think I'd take the advice above and include an intro statement in the following newsletter explaining that if you are receiving this for the first time, it is because the email provided in a previous transaction was added to the list. I will apologize to those who have no interest in receiving future emails and here is what you click to opt out for good.

I'd hope that everyone would remember dealing with me in the past and not take it for completely unsolicited spam.

Completely fair, Bobby.

If someone gets bent out of shape over a polite, professional e-mail, that's on them. Also, your rep. in the home brewing community speaks for itself.:mug:

Edit: just subscribed. Nicely done, Bobby

I've never received an email from you, although I'm a customer. I'd be surprised at first to get such an email, but once I "recognized" you, I'm sure I'd be totally fine with it.

That sounds perfectly reasonable. Feel free to add me to the list. I'll be in the market for another sightglass as well, so you'll be getting my address again anyway.

I agree with jwright, send out an intro email encouraging signup. If they sign up great and if not then don't hound them with annoying email. Maybe encourage once or twice a year.
Just got done subscribing.

while ordering my second sightglass last night I noticed that newsletter bit. I was on my phone and just wanted to place my order. I am heading over now on the laptop to sign up.

-=Jason=-

I don't have a problem with receiving a newsletter or other similar email from a company I've done business with in the past. If it's something I want to read I will. If not, it's one click to mark it as spam and never see it in my inbox again or unsubscribe via the included links.

Given that some people will be pissed about it I'd probably avoid adding people to your newsletter. Why not just add the opt-in to the order page and have it default to yes?

As long as you are being totally fair and honest, I don't see a problem. I was going to suggest a simple one-time email mentioning that they will not be sent more unless they want to go to the website and sign up.

Or just place them on the list with an honest explanation of what's going on and instructions for opting out.

I don't have a problem with introductory emails if the opt out is for real and it's easy to do.

I work with mailing lists frequently through my company. I wouldn't just add them in and send it. People get annoyed easily, plus no one wants to click links (even just to opt out) anymore due to all the email verification as mentioned before plus potential virus's. People fear even opening something that's not from a known email to them.

I would do as someone else suggested and opt them in if they order from here forward.

Having said this...I think your customer base of homebrewers is much more honed in than most other businesses. I honestly feel your reputation would keep people from being upset by you adding them.

Thanks, That's what I'm hoping also. It's not like buying a toaster on Amazon and then getting all kinds of solicitation about other products out of the blue. I'm still thinking about it. The thing is, the opt-in form is right on my front page so I'm hoping anyone that visited after I added it has the chance to decide. The emails that I thought about adding in were people who purchased prior to the mailing being set up and the form being added.

Just signed up for your mailing list. Send one email with a link inviting people to join mailing list.

^I agree that's the way to go. I would respect and value a supplier much more than them sending recurring unsolicited emails. Even if I have the ability to opt-out easily.

From a fellow business owner perspective:
I dont see anything wrong with sending the newsletter/promotions out as long as they are:1) Identified as to who is sending the information 2)Unique and pertainant information 3)not terribly frequent (we follow up 3-4 times a year) 4)make it easy to opt out

from a conservative perspective:

i would say it would be ok to make a 1 time announcement of the newsletter to past customers, and give them an 'opt in' link

Back