Avery IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I discovered IPA for myself. I had known about them for a long time, but for some reason the thought of them didn’t appeal to me. A few weeks ago we and SWMBO were at a local brew pub when I decided to try one. I was blown away….and hooked. I live in Arkansas, and unfortunately, the spectrum of micro/specialty brews is quite narrow. I went looking for IPA’s. They are few and far between here. I tried Samuel Smith’s India Ale. I’m a big fan of that brewery, but was unimpressed with this beer. It lacked the hop character, too me, that my introductory IPA had. I tried the local Micro Brew IPA and was very unimpressed. They are the only Micro in this state and I have never been impressed with their work. The following week I heard an interview with the owner and he said they don’t dry hop any beers there?!?!?!?!?!?! (I have other issues with this micro that I will leave for another time.) Last night I did some driving hitting a few liquor stores and came across Avery IPA. That satisfied my need for hops. I was very impressed, albeit my sensibilities when it comes to IPA are quite unrefined. The first thing I thought when I woke up this morning was ‘Mmmm that was some good beer last night. I could drink another right now.’

A hop head is born.

Avery's IPA is one of my favs. Very complex hop profile in this one.

Welcome to the world of bitterness.

Yes, that is a good one. One of my favorites definitely. Has a great fresh hop taste.
Hop Freaks Unite!

You should try Stone Ruination IPA. Very hoppy and very good. Probably hard to find R-kansas

three words for you: Dog Fish Head! (or is that two words? or maybe only one?)

start with a 60 minute IPA, then get a 90 minute IPA, then when you are sure you are done driving for the evening get yourself a 120 minute IPA let the hoppy-ness ensue!

If you liked Avery's traditional IPA, you should be sure to try the Maharaja, that's their Imperial. That stuff is like candy for hopheads which you will be soon if you aren't quite yet.

I am in the process of refining a clone for that.

Such is life being an Arky. All the IPA's suggested are not available in AR. I can search for Dog Fish Head on my next memphis trip. It is really hard to find IPA's here...and porters. When i fouind the Avery IPA I wasn't really seeking an IPA specifically. I was looking for something special (SM Taddy Porter, sSierra Nevada Porter, IPA, Etc). The specialty market here is dominated by Pale ales, ambers, stouts and wheet beers. It is all good, but I need more choices. Therefore, started homebrewing!

Lately I have been obsessing over porters. I miss them. when I lived in alaska Ihad Raven's Ridge (now gone). Now I'm obsessing over IPA.

I have an Robust Porter in The secondary(I think i might have screwed it up, though). My next brew (this weekend?) will be a Nut brown Ale. After that....I'm thinking IPA.

I will go back to Avery for now. I know the store regularly stocks it. I will look for the Maharaja .

I'm a hop head. I really did wake up Sunday morning thinking about that beer.

On a funny note, I gave my wife a drink and her comment was, " It taste like soap."

I busted up laughing!

Austin Home Brew has an Avery IPA clone kit you could try. I've never brewed it but I've been pleased with every other kit I've done from them. I think they have A Stone clone too.

krispy d said:
ooohhhh I want that recipe! AG? or Extract? the 2007 Maharaja should be out soon. I can't wait...
AG. Once brewed if it's close enough to the real thing I will post it here.

I think that is my favorite IPA and next would be Ruination. No IBU rating is too big for this hophead:rockin:

Thanks for the heads up on the avery clone, Evets. I will try that one.

LouT said:
Found this thread, anyone brew something like this yet?

Avery IPA? You mean a highly carb'd, overly sweet and not especially bitter IPA?;)

Actually, it's not that bad...has a decent nose but isn't anywhere near bitter enough to cover the malt or get into hop head territory for me. The aroma and appearance are really nice. The case I purchased was wickedly carbonated.

brewt00l said:
Avery IPA? You mean a highly carb'd, overly sweet and not especially bitter IPA?;)

Actually, it's not that bad...has a decent nose but isn't anywhere near bitter enough to cover the malt or get into hop head territory for me. The aroma and appearance are really nice. The case I purchased was wickedly carbonated.

I think you are totally wrong, Avery's IPA is well balanced, and the hops definitely overpower the maltiness....it is one of my favorites, other than my own IPA of course.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I think you are totally wrong, Avery's IPA is well balanced, and the hops definitely overpower the maltiness....it is one of my favorites, other than my own IPA of course.

Thanks for correcting my opinion! :)

ColoradoXJ13 said:
where did I correct you? Opinions are like a$$holes...I have one, and so does everyone else, and they all smell like $hit.

From my POV, it's not a case of right or wrong in the first place...we each have our own experience and opinion and they can be different and both valid at the same time. Either way, this is going off topic and I am not in any way attempting to attack you or invalidate your opinion. :mug:

All I can say is that I was giving away bottes from the case...and others observations were the same.

I picked up the AHS Avery IPA kit, I was planning on brewing it this weekend, but my primary with a nut brown ale appears to still be fermenting going on 2 weeks (see this thread). If my gravity keeps dropping I wont rack to secondary. Therefore, if I don’t rack the nut brown, and don’t buy another fermenter, I’ll wait till next week.

krispy d said:
three words for you: Dog Fish Head! (or is that two words? or maybe only one?)

start with a 60 minute IPA, then get a 90 minute IPA, then when you are sure you are done driving for the evening get yourself a 120 minute IPA let the hoppy-ness ensue!

90 Minute IPA has literally turned my world around, as far as beer and brewing is concerned (and, really, what else is there?) By far, this is the best beer I've ever had, and this is coming from a guy that typically preferred the maltier beers. It's $9 for four bottles in my area, but I feel it's worth every penny. It's so complex, I think wine connesuiers could appreciate it.

I've since tried the 60 minute, and it's very good, but the 90 minute blows it out of the water. I've since tried other Dogfish Head brews, and they are now officially my favorite brewery. The Indian Brown Ale is unbelievably unique; I love it. I'm drinking a Raison d'Etre now, and it's also very unique.

I can't say enough good things about Dogfish Head. If anyone has an opportunity to try these beers out, do yourself the favor. You will not be disappointed!

The Avery Maharaja will change your opinion about Avery IPAs being too malty and not hoppy enough...
I've had DogfishHead 60 min on draught and enjoyed it, need to try 90 minute.

Back