Auto Siphon tubing turned milky white

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
Soaked my Autopsiphon in oxiclean and the tubing turned milky white. Is this normal? Is it ok to use? I've only used it on 4 batches so far.

normal. mine's been hazed for ages. just keep it clean and it should be fine.

FWIW, I've never had to soak my autosiphon. I pump a bunch of oxiclean through it, then disassemble and clean with oxiclean, then rinse. It comes out squeaky clean. The only think I soak in oxiclean is bottles (mostly to get the labels off).

+1 what PintOfBitter said. Mine are hazy too. I soak them in OxyClean then hang them up to dry. I put them into a five gallon bucket of StarSan on brew day. Good Luck.

Oxyclean will sanitize in about a minute. There is no reason to soak anything in oxyclean. If you have caked on things, soak in water and it will loosen up. Then sanitize.

Forrest

Oxyclean will sanitize in about a minute. There is no reason to soak anything in oxyclean. If you have caked on things, soak in water and it will loosen up. Then sanitize.

Forrest

Forrest: I've never read that Oxyclean is a sanitizer. But I'm always open to learning new information. Are you certain? Thanks.

Oxiclean does not claim to be a sanitizer, but it in effect is. It how ever is not a "no rinse" sanitizer, its 2 main ingredients are Sodium Percarbonate and Soda Ash. Both of which will not evaporate and causes it to raise the PH up to 11. I am new to AG brewing, but everything i have read says that could be bad!

Latest posts

Back