Apfelwein has floaties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
My first batch of Apfelwein after a day has little white islands of something floating around on top? is this normal?

My first batch of Apfelwein after a day has little white islands of something floating around on top? is this normal?

Almost certainly yeast floc. It will prolly clear out rather spectacularly in the 3-4 week range. I leave mine in the primary for 8wks by default.

That's yeast doing their thing. One thing to remember with Apfelwein is that it will take A WHILE to be done. Although it is tempting to keep an eye on it 24x7, I wouldn't recommend it. Just set it aside for a while, forget about it, and come back in a month or so to check on its clarity.

can't help but check it everyday.....except tomorrow, Ale fest in Columbus so I will be there not in my basement looking at undrinkables....

Good to hear that it is normal.

floaties gone now. Fizzing like sprite now and smells like someone dropped a case of Pinto in the basement now for some reason...can't wait must,,,drink now!!!! It looks great wish I would of snapped a picture of the floaties for furture searches along with todays.

Thanks for the feedback...

Back