keg to bottle question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
From my understanding you can force car the beer in a keg. Then it is ready to drink after cooling for 24 hours. If I wanted to do that. Could I then bottle the beer from the keg? That way I can handout to different people. Would the beer in the bottle from the keg be ready to drink right away?

If the keg is fully carbonated, then bottle filling from the keg results in ready to drink beer.

You can just fill from the tap but to reduce the mess and foam:

1. keep every thing cold - beer, bottle, everything

2. look into a counter-pressure bottle filler

Does kegging work the same as bottling? The longer the beer sits in the forced CO2 Keg the better it could taste?

ifish is right, however I'll note that mine tend to start to turn south the longer they sit in the kegs as well. If you drink through them in a month, no worries. I've just not had the greatest of luck with things being in the keg for months at a time.

I have had beer in kegs for 4-6 months and they tasted amazing after tapping them. Stored at room temp too. As long as they are sealed and the headspace primed with co2 the beer should last a very long time.

Will the beer store okay.

Generally yes. As long as the beer is ok to begin with and the bottle and cap are clean and sanitized, the worst that could happen is a little oxygen gets in there which might degrade the beer over long term storage, though I've not tried that.

However, that's a moot point, because you should conduct your long term storage in the keg anyway, and then bottle it when needed. (that's the whole point right?).

Back