recommendations for a wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak47clown

Reaction score
I've got an IPA in my primary and I should be moving it over to the secondary in a few days. Now i'm searching for what will be my 3rd brew and I'm thinkin a nice wheat beer. Just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations on either a recipe or even a good kit that they've used. I think that I'd like to stick with an extract for at least one or two more batches before I consider doing a partial mash...

I'd recommend the Belgian Wit kit from Austin Homebrew. I made the mini-mash version and it was excellent. The directions and everything were great for a newbie.

A fun extract wit I did was this, but might be a little too summery. Then again, it might help you to forget that it's winter!

0.5 lb carapils

6 lb wheat LME
3 lb amber LME

.5 oz. Hallertauer (60 min)
.25 oz. Cascade (20 min)
.25 oz. Hallertauer (20 min)
.25 oz. Cascade (aroma)

WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale Yeast

1/4 tsp crushed coriander (5 min)
2 cans crushed pineapple in juice, no sugar added

Steep grain 30 mins @ 150-160. At 200 degrees, add amber LME. Begin boil. Boil bittering hops for 60 mins. Add remaining LME with 15 mins remaining. Add coriander with 5 mins remaining. Add pineapple just prior to flame out. Add aroma hops just prior to pitching.

Bottle after 3 weeks. Use 5 oz dextrose to prime.

The pineapple flavor is not as evident if you bottle right after fermentation, it grows over a couple weeks, which is why I suggest the 3 week lag. If you're willing to let the bottles sit a while, then you can bottle right after fermentation is complete.

Hope you like it!

wow...both look pretty damn good-summer beers are some of my favorite so i defintely wouldn't mind the second one.

jmack-what exactly is the mini mash kit? Is it the same as a partial mash?

moonshae-what size are the cans of pineapple juice you use?

Mini-mash came with specialty grains and some base grains instead of all extract. The only extra equipment I needed was a grain bag and thermometer. Steep the grain in the bag for 30 minutes then proceed with the extract and boil.

Was easy and came out very well.

A fun extract wit I did was this, but might be a little too summery. Then again, it might help you to forget that it's winter!

0.5 lb carapils

6 lb wheat LME
3 lb amber LME

.5 oz. Hallertauer (60 min)
.25 oz. Cascade (20 min)
.25 oz. Hallertauer (20 min)
.25 oz. Cascade (aroma)

WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale Yeast

1/4 tsp crushed coriander (5 min)
2 cans crushed pineapple in juice, no sugar added

Steep grain 30 mins @ 150-160. At 200 degrees, add amber LME. Begin boil. Boil bittering hops for 60 mins. Add remaining LME with 15 mins remaining. Add coriander with 5 mins remaining. Add pineapple just prior to flame out. Add aroma hops just prior to pitching.

Bottle after 3 weeks. Use 5 oz dextrose to prime.

The pineapple flavor is not as evident if you bottle right after fermentation, it grows over a couple weeks, which is why I suggest the 3 week lag. If you're willing to let the bottles sit a while, then you can bottle right after fermentation is complete.

Hope you like it!

Sounds awesome! might have to be the next batch after the hefe tomorrow. :tank:

Latest posts

Back