Fresh juice -what to make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
Local place is getting in their annual batch of "apple juice" from PA in a few weeks. I've already bought some grape juice from them as they got most in on Friday. Anyway, the juice is unpasturized and as natural as it gets from what I can tell.

What would be a good recipe for something like this? (not sure what the difference is between apple cider in recipes and apple juice?)

Well, since I'm a wine lover, I say a nice apple wine! That's one of my favorites.

But, most people would tell you to just add some cider yeast to that fresh juice and make a hard cider. That would be nice, too.

I think the main difference (at least in the US) between juice and cider is filtering or not. Juice seems to be filtered, cider seems to be unfiltered. Whichever you decide, make sure it's preservative-free, so that it will ferment.

The popular thing around here seems to be adding a bunch of sugar and fermenting with wine yeast.

Ignoring popular, I get very nice results with no added sugar and a package of dry ale yeast. I prime and bottle after it's dropped clear.

Ask yourself what you want - go that way.

Well, if I would add a pile of sugar and go for ABV, then I may as well just buy bottles of juice for that apparently.

I think if I do this I'll just ferment out the actual juice I get, maybe adding just a touch of sugar.

So, the plan seems to be -Buy maybe 6-7 gallons of juice, add campden tablets and start the process. Will probably do 6 gallons in a primry and up to 1 gallon in one of my gallon jugs/wine bottles. (after racking, most should go into one 6 gallon carboy)

Question is, What would be a good yeast to use if I don't want to add a ton of sugar and go high ABV? The suggestion above is to use an ale yeast and in the next week or so I am making 2 different ales and a honey wheat, so I should have something along those lines. Or should I just use a specifically made cider yeast? Also, I've read a bunch about the cider taking a while to clear. Would there be any benefit to filter it after a given period? (plan on filtering my beer when kegging)

Sorry about so many questions but I've never made anything out of fresh juice before and this fall is the first time.

I think either cider yeast or ale yeast would be a good choice. I know that one of the cider yeast strains (but I forget which one!) is especially good for fermenting to dryness, but retaining more "apple-y" flavor.

You can filter if you want- but I don't think I would. First of all, if you filter a cider that isn't clear, it'll ruin and clog your filter. Filtering is more for polishing wines and ciders that are already clear.

If you really want it clear, what I would do is this: add one campden per gallon as you've planned. Twelve hours laters later, add 1 tsp pectic enzyme per gallon. Twelve hours after that, pitch the yeast. That will help keep the cider from forming a pectin haze, and with some time you'll have a clear cider.

Thanks Yooper. I ordered some White Labs Cider yeast this afternoon. (775 IIRC) Anyway, My hope is to make a good starter and use it in multiple batches if I can't find the dry yeast for the Apfelwine. I figured I would get 11 or 12 gallons if I have to, do one quick batch and then let a 6 gallon batch age appropriately.

I've had pretty good luck with everything clearing that I have done so far. When time to bottle I'll probably cool it good for a few days and let the sediment drop out.

Latest posts

Back