What type of brewing do you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where are you at?

• Extract - staying that way

• Extract - plan to change

• Extract and parcial Mash - staying that way

• Extract and parcial Mash - plan to change

• All grain - staying as I am

• All grain - plan to upgrade the brewing Equipment.

• Not started yet

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am perfectly happy with the methods that I am using now, since they are good for my skill level, and are producing great beers. I am starting to make my move to AG, though, since the process intrigues me, and I think that it will produce better beer, and be more fulfilling. I am sure that I will still belt out an extract/steep batch every now and again, but I really want to be able to say that I made my beer completely from scratch.

Side note- I just noticed a huge difference from extract only to extract with grains!!! Anyone out there doing just extract, you might want to try it-not difficult at all. I did it with my second batch and it went great. Gives the extract beer another dimension of flavor, IMO.

all-grain, and always tinkering with my equipment. does it change the end result? not always but it makes the brewing experience more fun. i love the AG part of brewing. total control and it's cool to know you made your beer from water, grains, yeast, and hops.

I voted "AG, plan to upgrade", although the upgrades are going to be rather minor for a while.

LupusUmbrus said:
I voted "AG, plan to upgrade", although the upgrades are going to be rather minor for a while.

Same here. I may have to upgrade my HLT and I can foresee wearing out my picnic cooler mash tun and having to construct another! :) But other than that, no major changes.

Doesn't it seem like you are always upgrading something?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my HLT and mashtun. I've been cooler shopping recently--looking for a sufficient square/rectangle cooler so I can mash larger batches. Right now my 5 gallon Maxcold will only hold 13 lbs. of grain.

I have an extra keg that will soon be an HLT, and a brew stand is in the early works.

All extract to all grain plus ciders.

Upgrades? Sure, it's a hobby isn't it? The chill in the garage this winter has convinced me to try a cooler-based lauter tun. Even with a ring burner and re-circulation I'm having trouble keeping the mash warm.

BeeGee said:
Basically, anybody that votes AG - staying where I'm at is lying! :D It's a slippery slope down the aisles of home depot and machine shops.
No kidding. Seems everyone's being honest with themselves so far though :D

Have a 20 gal outside system, 5 gal electric basement system, and I still do mini-mashes to try a style or when brew time is limited to keep beer supply up. I did a 20 min kit with my son-in-law to plant the seed a week ago.

Voted extract with partial grains, although I do a few "boil and dump" full extracts just to fill a corny or two on short money...still better than a 30-pack of yellow fizzy water.

Been brewing a long time and always leary of the time and effort required for all grain until recently finding this forum and "lurking" in the all grain posts. Other than having to build up a few things and planning your time wisely, I suppose AG is probably not that big a deal...and the cost of grain is a LOT cheaper than extract.

I also found the following (the hyperlink may not work so cut/paste to your browser)...this guy makes it look and sound like its no big deal. Cheers, men!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim.dunleavy/index.htm

I have only been brewing a short while, and love it. All Grain is very cool do that most of the time. I have tried some extract kits only to try to all grain them. My equipment is good enough for me I have alot of equipment and it seems the more people I talk to the more I get. I have not bought a single carboy!!

Very Cool !!! ;)

woodstone said:
Voted extract with partial grains, although I do a few "boil and dump" full extracts just to fill a corny or two on short money...still better than a 30-pack of yellow fizzy water.

Been brewing a long time and always leary of the time and effort required for all grain until recently finding this forum and "lurking" in the all grain posts. Other than having to build up a few things and planning your time wisely, I suppose AG is probably not that big a deal...and the cost of grain is a LOT cheaper than extract.

I also found the following (the hyperlink may not work so cut/paste to your browser)...this guy makes it look and sound like its no big deal. Cheers, men!

Lol, I've been lurking as well, trying not to ask too many stupid questions. I'm planning my first all-grain batch for when I have enough time. Unfortunately the holidays are making that difficult. I have my Coleman 48 qt cooler with the steel braided hose for now, but I always want to upgrade. Found kegs for 10 bucks a shot on ebay, so hopefully I'll be able to get into kegging soon. I just got into brewing recently (about 7 batches under my belt now, extract + grains) and I pretty much have driven all my friends mad with my constant babbling. My first AG kit is going to be the Rogue I2PA from morebeer, probably a bit ambitious, but it will be a hoot. :)

I'm all grain needing to upgrade equipment just like most all grain brewers but I still use extracts too. I have no problem mashing 10-12 pounds of grain in my 5 gal mashtun but I can't do 15; so when I need a higher gravity, I'll not hesitate to suplement with extract.

Eventually, I want to upgrade to a three tier system but it'll take some time before I'll get the stuff I need for that. I'll be researching systems for a long time yet before I take the leap.

woodstone said:

That's a cool site, the guys from the UK and uses some of the kit I use. The main difference is I use a keg and burner for boiling. I'm worried about scrotching wort in an electric boiler and the cleaning.

Extract only (although of course I use steeping grains for color, head and flavor). I have not even cracked open the AG forum. I doubt I will change - my system has a pleasing compactness that allows me to brew in the comfort of my kitchen without incurring the wrath of SWMBO and yet still produces a mighty fine beer.

ScottT said:
I have no problem mashing 10-12 pounds of grain in my 5 gal mashtun but I can't do 15; so when I need a higher gravity, I'll not hesitate to suplement with extract.

Eventually, I want to upgrade to a three tier system but it'll take some time before I'll get the stuff I need for that.
I'm with you on that. I've got a few batches under my belt using my 5 gal cooler also. I'm already looking at making a bigger mash tun for larger or higher gravity brews. The three tier is a way off though... Maybe Santa will bring it :)

brewsmith said:
I'm with you on that. I've got a few batches under my belt using my 5 gal cooler also. I'm already looking at making a bigger mash tun for larger or higher gravity brews. The three tier is a way off though... Maybe Santa will bring it :)

Just an idea, is there any problem with splitting the grain bill over two smaller mash tuns?

all grain, i'm not really upgrading equipment atm... maybe in the spring, but i've got a new eager partner in crime...

i brought my little brother on board with me. he's been footing the grain and hops bill in exchange for the use of my equipment and knowledge and energy supply ;)

he's building us a brew stand this weekend for sundays batch. brewing beer always makes watching the browns get slaughtered easier to take :eek:

Back