This is becoming annoying!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plinythebadass

Reaction score
So prior to bottle conditioning, I sipped a sample of my Imperial IPA recipe. It tasted lovely, exactly what I was looking for. I primed with the required amount of sugar and let the bottles sit for three weeks as usual. Upon first pour, I noticed all of the hop aroma that was there when I tested it before had been replaced by the sweet smell of the sugar?! Same goes for the flavor. I had nice full carbonation but apparently there was still too much sugar for those little bugs to munch on? PLEASE HELP!

3 weeks is the minimum time to properly car and condition bottles. Bigger beers - like Imperial IPAs - often take longer. Up to 6 weeks or more.

Also...what were your OG and FG on this recipe and how much priming sugar did you use?

Knowing your recipe wouldn't hurt either.

3 weeks is the minimum time to properly car and condition bottles. Bigger beers - like Imperial IPAs - often take longer. Up to 6 weeks or more.
+1

I am on the cusp of bottling my IIPA. Or so I hope it turns out, I might have to buy a single bottle to see if what I made is anything close to what I was aiming at. Maybe I shouldn't aim for a target that I don't know what it is. OK, I'm done rambling...

What you're describing sounds almost word for word what I've experienced the first impatient bottle of every batch I've made so far. Just giving it more time has always been the cure. I'd expect the IIPA to be exactly as JLem has said and take longer.

It is possible that you overdid it and your yeast alcohol poisoned themselves. My OG was 1.080 FG 1.014 ~ 10% ABV. If it had of dropped to 1.005 it would hit 11.5% and my yeast would have killed themselves off. Fortunately my numbers and attenuation was spot on to what I expected. I don't think there's a great deal of ABV created in the bottle, but each yeast is different in their tolerance levels.

An update on this...I have done many batches since and have solved my problem. Would you guess patience was my main issue-big beers take big time. Let that bad boys age...!!!

Back