Screwing with a kit recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasolhe

Reaction score
My first batch is 2 days from bottling day

Brewers Best India Pale Ale

Can i or have any of you experimented by adding ingredients just prior
to bottling?

Hops/Spices/Fruit/Fruit juice/Peelings/etc...?

I never have, but others have. And you can if you want to. I want to say I have read about hopping in the bottle, and adding juice. I think a chili too. Since it is your first batch, I'd at least leave some bottles alone, and use restraint. Don't go overboard, consider the small amounts of additions you may be using. Look up what someone might use in a 5 gallon batch and do some math to figure out what to put in the bottle. Look up 'bottle additions' or some variant.

the quickest way to give up this wonderful hobby is to start adding Shi.. stuff without really knowing what you're doing. It's sorta like hoping to fail. Let your first couple of batches just be themselves so you can get an idea of what you're doing with the basics. Then when you understand better, experiment. At least that way you'll have a little better understanding.

I added a pound of sugar to an extract kit. Ended up drying it out and it sucked. I assume the kits are put together by professionals. If you want to experiment, look at recipes, get some brewing software and concoct your own version of a recipe. Have fun!

Reserve your excitement for the next brew! Patience is the most important thing to learn in brewing...

as others have said, let it be. I don't do IPA's, but can you get them with "other ingredients". Maybe down the road you could spice up the recipe with something. I have added coffee to my Porter and molasses to my Oatmeal Stout,

After looking at these recipes,doesn't look like you should not mess with the recipe
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/

Back