Planting in pot or ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Just bought a house this week and moved in last night. I don't have the yard the way I want it yet as in need to clear trees for planting a bigger yard and garden space. The hop plant arrived today and I'm not home yet. Should I just plant it in a large planter until I fix the yard and transplant when I find the garden space or am I gonna have to plant this bad boy and build garden around it

Congratulations on the new house! Lots of stuff to do so make it easy and dig a hole and stick her (hopefully you got a girl) in the ground. Next Spring when you have everything the way you want, dig it up and move it to a more permanent spot. Easy as pie!

image-937384531.jpg

Attachments

• image-4226348722.jpg
    image-4226348722.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 271
Might want to loosen up that soil with a bunch of partially-composted pine bark fines, 1/8-inch gravel, and perlite. Seems awfully compact and moist for a potted plant. You shouldn't be able to squeeze the soil mixture with your hands and form a solid ball. It should just crumble apart in your hands when you try to do that. This allows the roots to become strong and hardy. The potting mix should feel slightly damp to the touch, but not soaking wet. Watering with a diluted/weak non-organic 12-4-8 or 9-3-6 fertilizer solution along with the same volume of water on a very regular basis (e.g. every 3-5 days - whichever works for your climate/container/plant) is a good practice. Potted plants love routine. Forget about them after being consistent for awhile and they will begin to stress out.

So add some filler to break up soil? It's all Mericke grow potting mix

I have two crows in the mail, what should I do with those. Plant them in pot till trees are down? Or just plant and build trellis and hope they don't fall on the plants?

image-2956912892.jpg

Want to build something like this. Each plant gets a square so the picture would be two plants and I'd build another so 3 total.

Easy peezy...

Or you could nix two out of four of the containers and place them in the center of the bines if desired.

untitled.JPG

Yea that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Is it to early in the year to be doing this? Ga has mild winters and falls so they won't see much frost if any.

I've asked a lot of questions on the forums but havnt got a lot of responses till now

Hello, i just receved five little hop plants from germany and i do not know what to do with them. Should i keep them in pots until spring time or plant outside? I live in Romania and the temperature is around 10 deg Celsius now. In winter it will reach -20 or less. I,m afraid that the plant can die outside because are so little. Thanks!

Back