Primary time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
So I normally do a 3 week primary for ales. 2 weeks at fermentation temperature and then the last week crash cooled to 39-40 (kegerator temperature). Would I have any issue in shortening this to 2 weeks? 1 week at ferm temp then 1 week crash cooled. I always use a starter and my beers show visual signs of fermentation within 6-12 hours.

Most brewers would tell you to go at least 10 days in primary just so the yeast has some time to clean up off-flavors before you cool it down and they go dormant. Are you racking into a keg then crashing or are you just placing the whole fermenter in there?

I have a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber. I just set the temp to 40 to crash cool. I want to be able to brew more often if I choose to. I guess I could just leave at fermentation temp for 2 weeks and forgo the crash cool but I like how that starts the beer clearing and allows me to keg at already near serving temperature.

Back