quick question for first time with JP dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grundig5

Reaction score
Just a quick question since this is my first time with wild yeast :cross:

I brewed a standard saison (1.060) back in early March and stole a gallon of it pre-fermentation. I finally checked on it last night after about 3 months with JP dregs and it had a really nice bubbly pellicle and the taste is about what I was hoping for. It's at 1.003 and I think I could safely bottle it right?

Guessing I'll only get 8 or 9 bottles but the real reason I wanted to try this was to build up a nice funky yeast starter for a full 5 gallon batch. I dont see that happening for a few months though. In the interim, could I just keep hitting the yeast with small starters to chew on? Do you suggest I wash the yeast or just dump the starter on the yeast cake in the gallon jug its already in?

Thanks for the help!

JP dregs are quick workers. With that low of a gravity you are pretty safe. It be completely sure you can check it in another month.

The need for washing really depends on how much trub you have. Brett will use some of it as a carbon source, but there are limits.

And yes adding small amounts of wort over time would be a good way to make sure you have healthy viable yeast when you are ready for a big batch.

JP dregs are quick workers. With that low of a gravity you are pretty safe. It be completely sure you can check it in another month.

The need for washing really depends on how much trub you have. Brett will use some of it as a carbon source, but there are limits.

And yes adding small amounts of wort over time would be a good way to make sure you have healthy viable yeast when you are ready for a big batch.

Back